Suspension paint

hj9

Reaction score
Hello all,

For those of you who have restored your suspension, what did you decide in terms of painting? I have sandblasted and epoxy primed the majority of the rear suspension,I prefer not to powder coat, am considering single stage urethane based paint but would like some input.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I, too, prefer not to powder coat (I think we are a dying breed). I have stripped, blasted, and/or wired the metal bare clean, prepped with degreaser and then wax remover and 99%, and have been using a chassis specific primer and paint coating from Eastwood. It is their better formulation, and is said to be epoxy fortified (not sure what that means given it is a 1-part product). Honestly, I think it is not too far off from overpriced rustoleum with some proprietary thinning agents - but it has served me well so far. I think it is all in the preparation - which has represented more time than anything else on my project thus far.

Reactions: hj9

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
IF you want max durability, think about alu+zinc hot spray coating, then powdercoat on top of that. It takes the risk out of potential chipping the powdercoat and having the rust spread very quickly underneath. The alu+zinc thermals spray coating is very corrosion resistant and tough as hell.

It is a bit expensive though...

If parts do not have seams that can trap the acid from the electrolytic zinc coating proces, then that is also a good layer underneath, prior to powdercoat.
Acid that is drawn capillary into seams will leach out and cause corrosion quickly; I've had it happen on some parts that I thought should be ok ( but turned to crap)

It offers a better corrosion resistance vs just powder coat. It is also cheaper then the alu+zinc thermal spray technique.

Last edited: