Swap for a “better” automatic?

Seth Horwitz

Reaction score
I’ve tried searching, but “swap transmission” on this site is ALWAYS putting in a 5-Speed. I have a doctor’s note explaining why I can’t drive stick anymore for those that are upset (which includes me, if I’m being honest), but it is what it is. Back on point, is there an alternative slushbox to the factory 3-speed? I read on some tuner’s site that they recommend a certain four speed for turbo tweaked M30s, but 1) will it fit an E9 and 2) is there anything better? I’m looking to build a pretty historic that can drive like a car at least 20 years younger. Thanks for any help.
Seth

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ZF 4HP22 4-speed works with M30s but I am not sure it can fit the E9.

Seth Horwitz

Reaction score
Thanks Arde. I read that the 4HP22 can push 400whp, which is at least 100hp more than I want, but I’m just looking for the drivability of an extra gear with better ratios. As you said, I’m just not sure how much alteration, if any, would be needed to drop it in.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve tried searching, but “swap transmission” on this site is ALWAYS putting in a 5-Speed. I have a doctor’s note explaining why I can’t drive stick anymore for those that are upset (which includes me, if I’m being honest), but it is what it is. Back on point, is there an alternative slushbox to the factory 3-speed? I read on some tuner’s site that they recommend a certain four speed for turbo tweaked M30s, but 1) will it fit an E9 and 2) is there anything better? I’m looking to build a pretty historic that can drive like a car at least 20 years younger. Thanks for any help.
Seth
I feel your pain. Before my total knee replacements, driving a standard was beginning to be difficult.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
after watching several episodes of Phantom Auto or some such on Velocity, I see that you can put anything in anything with welding talent and money.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, it can handle the power, there is a version with electronic gear control, and in 4th gear the ratio is even lower than a 5-speed Getrag in 5th so if you do highway the revs stay really low. I know a person that rebuilds them better than new. So all you need is somebody to fit it mechanically in the car, which may not be easy...

Thanks Arde. I read that the 4HP22 can push 400whp, which is at least 100hp more than I want, but I’m just looking for the drivability of an extra gear with better ratios. As you said, I’m just not sure how much alteration, if any, would be needed to drop it in.

Seth Horwitz

Reaction score
after watching several episodes of Phantom Auto or some such on Velocity, I see that you can put anything in anything with welding talent and money.
You’re spot on. As I have no welding talent, I’m aware that I COULD fit the V10 from a Viper into an E9, but my wallet tells me that would be a mistake.

Yes, it can handle the power, there is a version with electronic gear control, and in 4th gear the ratio is even lower than a 5-speed Getrag in 5th so if you do highway the revs stay really low. I know a person that rebuilds them better than new. So all you need is somebody to fit it mechanically in the car, which may not be easy...
Good to know. Is drivability in traffic OK? I’m not looking for a stoplight racer, nor a car that’ll do 180 on the highway, but don’t want to ever think “I wish I had a better gear” when punching it after a turn or attempting to make a pass on the freeway. I can deal with engine drone on the highway. I took my toy car on a 13 hour drive when I was on site (out of state) for a few months of work down South. Having two turbos and a Flat Six four feet behind your head for that many miles will get you used to almost anything. That said, the car will be coming back on a truck.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ZF 5HP30 would also handle the torque. It was used in many of the e31's, maybe all. The later models had the tiptronic feature as well, and it is a 5 speed. I'll take some pictures and measurements of mine ('97 840Ci).

Seth, please send me a 'conversation' message with your direct email address and I can forward them to you. It is actually a pretty nice tranny.

Gary--

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is OK, even better for a lighter car than the E24 I used it on. I changed the differential making it rev higher by ~10%, although nobody could answer my question on whether the tranny defeats the new differential by shifting earlier (based on revs and not on speed).

Good to know. Is drivability in traffic OK? I’m not looking for a stoplight racer, nor a car that’ll do 180 on the highway, but don’t want to ever think “I wish I had a better gear” when punching it after a turn or attempting to make a pass on the freeway. I can deal with engine drone on the highway. I took my toy car on a 13 hour drive when I was on site (out of state) for a few months of work down South. Having two turbos and a Flat Six four feet behind your head for that many miles will get you used to almost anything. That said, the car will be coming back on a truck.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 3hp22, 4hp22 and 4hp22eh all fit the block.
The problem will be with the bell housings with the 4hp22-tj version which uses the bigger P-1 converter being the worse. Adding an extra disk makes it good for 325 hp.
The 4hp22 eh electronic transmission get its shift info from a potentiometer type TPS and uses a tranny computer.
Maybe just a non electronic version is best.

pat cooks

Reaction score
I fitted a 4hp22 from an E30 with I think a converter and bell housing from a 518i into my 2002 manual as at that time I was using it for my daily commute to work, worked great, very low rpm at 80 mph, the 4hp22 has an overdrive top gear, I also fitted one into an E9 CSA for a customer, I would look for a non electric 4hp22 from an E28 or E34, they will all handle the power, you need one from an M30 engined car, and get the A clutch and front seal changed, there are also a couple of mods to the input shaft seals that are worth thinking about, I would not bother with the electronic control versions, not worth all the agro to install, a box with a two pin plug is OK, that is not electronic control, the electronic boxes have seven or eight pins and NO kickdown cable, it is a quite easy conversion as conversions go, your main problem is the speedo cable, as no 4hp box has a cable drive, these days I would probably look for a GPS electronic speedo (ebay) and fit the face and needle from the original E9 speedo onto it, Pat