Tail light out looking for diagnosis

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I pulled the rear trunk panel to have a go at the running light which is the only light not working in the whole car!

Using a tester, I determined that the grey wire leading to the right running light is not live.
When I try the right turn signal it does flash but I do not get a running light there either.

Before I disassemble too many things I want to try and narrow down the possibilities. Hoping for something simple.

Stan

2ma2

Reaction score
On my 71 it is the right lamps are fed from the left tailamp. All the connectors on the left lamp have 2 wires on them, one bringing power in the other going out to the right lamp assy. You will be able to find the harness if you pull the trunk floorboards etc the grounding points are there also and mine were really bad, just cleaning them up brightened things up a whole lot !

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my 71 it is the right lamps are fed from the left tailamp. All the connectors on the left lamp have 2 wires on them, one bringing power in the other going out to the right lamp assy. You will be able to find the harness if you pull the trunk floorboards etc the grounding points are there also and mine were really bad, just cleaning them up brightened things up a whole lot !

The left side works fine. I will also check the outgoing wire from that lamp...
Thanks

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We had power at the right side on the spade terminal, that's why we swapped the light housings, right?
yes and that is what confuses me. Now no power at the spade terminal. I am going to check the outgoing wire from the L lamp and see if something got loose there.

The yellow fuse (third from the L) was blown but replacing it did nothing.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my coupe there is no outgoing wire from the driving light on the left.
In order to get an inspection sticker I need that light working. Kluge? Alligator clips and connect the L driving lamp to the R? Would I blow a fuse somewhere?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Check

the right front light and make sure it has the right wires, the right bulb, and is grounded just like the left. It looks like it runs in a series from there.

Reconfirm the wire color and tracer.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the right front light and make sure it has the right wires, the right bulb, and is grounded just like the left. It looks like it runs in a series from there.

Reconfirm the wire color and tracer.

If I have the right bulb in front but one filament is burned out could it be that simple?
If the ground were bad would the turn signal work? Mine does...

I will check the bulb tomorrow.

Would that cause the wire to be dead at that point? The wire had juice last week.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fuses

From left to right and listed in the manual from 1 - 10

Manual my coupe

yellow white
yellow red
yellow yellow
white white
red red
red red