Tail Panel Gasket?

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a gasket for the aluminum tail panel (part #8) that goes in between the trim and the body? I can't seem to find one anywhere in the various parts diagrams.

I've been getting light exhaust fumes into the cabin. Using an air compressor to blow air in between the trim and the body, I can feel air leaking into the trunk. My taillight gaskets are new and its not coming from there.

If there was originally a gasket which is NLA, any suggestions for a suitable replacement? Self-adhesive household weatherstripping? Silicon? I have 3M strip caulk, but worry about the sticky mess it will create.

Thanks.

Tim

upload_2017-11-7_21-39-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_21-39-41.png
    upload_2017-11-7_21-39-41.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 163

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tim, I don't believe there is a factory gasket for that piece. I took some white gasket tape and went around the back before re-installing that piece (I'm pretty sure I did). Is the back seat and your rear shelf sealed pretty well to the trunk? No speaker holes uncovered etc.? Is it exhaust or fuel smell. Make sure the blue plastic hard line to plastic reservoir catch is connected too. You don't have a sunroof correct? Sometimes it swirls back in through there.

Last edited:

mosearch

Reaction score
It seems to me unlikely that exhaust fumes would enter your trunk and then get into the main cabin...not really the path of least resistance.

However, it's very possible that gas fumes from the fuel line connections and/or gas tank sender gasket could be allowing gasoline vapor into the trunk, which then migrates into your cabin...that was definitely happening to me; and now, after replacing the large o-ring , and then adding a step-down adapter to the fuel sending line(s), it seems to have been solved.

Bav3.5

Reaction score
It’s definitely exhaust fumes and yes, no sunroof. I’ll have to dig around more. Since bad trunk seals can cause this, i figured the air path I mentioned also can.

I’ve read several posts elsewhere (maybe related to 2002’s or other cars) where when the window is cracked open, some type of vacuum is created which sucks air in from the trunk, but how accurate that is, I’m not sure.

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Took it apart and my panel has some type of rubber/foam around it as seen in the picture. Based on how old deteriorated it is, who know if it was from the factory or someone else adding it a long time ago. Regardless if its factory, I'll probably replace it with some self adhesive closed-cell rubber/foam weatherstripping.

IMG_6485-1_zps2betaakm.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used 3M strip caulk. Waterproof and will hold it in place, removes easy as well. It's like Frank's Hot sauce......I use that shi-t on everything