tank sender seal weeps

shanon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think this has been addressed before but here goes:

My gas tank sender weeps when full or when she gets 'tossed/splashed around' a bit. Bits are basically new to newer, we've tried tweaking the tabs to make it clamp tighter, etc (done lotsa fussin').....but it's still is stinkin' up the ride. :evil:

I checked it after today's ride and it tighted just a schosh, but only caught it 'cause I heard it 'hiss' back there.................:shock:

So has anyone found 'THE' ultimate weepy gas sender O-ring or seal soluton? Should I step to the next O-ring thickness, or grab a tube of "Miracle Goo" sealer, or....?

If so, please insert the "solution's" MFG /Part# here: ____________

many thanks
-shanon

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Buy a new seal from BMW. Apparently, they are made of some sort of material which expands on contact with gasoline. The 25-30 year old original seal has shrunk and hardened over time.

There has been some discussion about this on the 2002FAQ in recent months.

shanon

Reaction score
thanks gents-

Question: What is oil/5-56 or similar? motor oil?

Gonna pick-up BMW/Dealer O-ring today, believe the O-ring currently in use is a newer BMW O-ring (year old), we'll see if the new-new one and some more 'fussin' does a better job.

Will keep ya posted on "Operation Ordorless"

-shanon

shanon

Reaction score
Operation Odorless = SUCCESS!!

Recently installed a factory gas tank O-ring (from BMW dealer =$5 USD) and my coupe is now ordorless. Well, as odorless as a 40 yr old, dual carb'd, hot rod can be.

It's a far more pleasant motoring experience now.... :twisted:

thanks for the help gang!
-shanon

shanon

Reaction score
Operation Odorless = SUCCESS!!

Recently installed a factory gas tank O-ring (from BMW dealer =$5 USD) and my coupe is now ordorless. Well, as odorless as a 40 yr old, dual carb'd, hot rod can be.

It's a far more pleasant motoring experience now.... :twisted:

thanks for the help gang!
-shanon

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried the new seal but still have a leak when the tank is full. Anyone got a source for fatter O rings?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried the new seal but still have a leak when the tank is full. Anyone got a source for fatter O rings?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
30csl said:
Carefully bend the locking tabs on the tank for a tighter fit. This may take a few tries to get right. Use the factory seal - see above.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
30csl said:
Carefully bend the locking tabs on the tank for a tighter fit. This may take a few tries to get right. Use the factory seal - see above.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I tried to do this but with little success. Will have another go.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I tried to do this but with little success. Will have another go.