Be ever so careful.

study the pictures before bidding

no purchase without a PPI.
IMG_1577.png

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Note the plastic fender liners installed on car.
Until they come out - no one knows what is going on with this car.

IMG_1578.png

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that through the rusthole next to the VIN plate , we are looking into the glovebox?

If that is correct, then it is in need of serious surgery as the front structure needs to be chopped off and rebuild from the inner fenders up likely.

Even so, it looks to be complete. Nice project for someone with serious welding skills?

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
agreed- very good project if you know that hole is there and have the means to fix it.
and the time….

I had an 81 year old client ready to bid on this yesterday…

The shops are so busy here that he will be 83 years old before it would be done!

The seller says…

“ No lingering rust or rot on this example!””

If that is a hole into glove box, to fix this in USA with paint in engine bay correctly is 10,000.00 plus.

they have put plastic? splash guards in wheel wells- let’s see what is up there.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
That E9 should deserved better body shop than the one who make a repairs previously (driver door, floor panels, trunk flap edges.

And... that mysterious holes reminds me San Adreas movie.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Confession: I have been all over this car as I had some vague notion of buying it at a low price and just driving it. Three coupe friends, two of them intimately familiar with the inner and outer workings of coupes had the same advice: Run Away! If someone had met the Reserve, let's say $38,000. plus BaT fees, taxes and transport they would have been looking at Around $43,000 in. Looking at the W&N prices, sale prices at that, each part would have been double or more the sale price when you add shipping. Impossible to estimate the R&R number of an experienced body shop at let's say $125. an hour(a guesstimate probably low). Quality paint and the prep: ten$ of thousand$ of Dollar$. VSR, are you listening?

A question for VSR, rsporsche, sfdon, H B Chris, Markos, et al, what do you think a final number would be? I ask this so when other cars like this come up for sale, novice buyers like me, who dream the impossible dream, would be much better prepared to make a smart decision.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I had an 81 year old client ready to bid on this yesterday…

The shops are so busy here that he will be 83 years old before it would be done!
Hmmm. At 81 one should not fear rust. Just drive it.
Louis XV said about his E9: Apres moi l'oxyde!

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i believe in @sfdon's math - at 26k plus 40k to set the car basically right ... you would have 66k in a car who's max value is 60k. if you paid 38k for it you would be 18k underwater. it simply doesn't pay for a shop like VSR, Coupeking, Don to take a car like this on. only a solo practitioner that has nothing but time (no overhead) and the skills to create beautiful metal work to make this work.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is it just me or is VIN plate missing a VIN?
On one pic- the VIN space looks blank... because of the lighting.
One another pic, you can see the stamped VIN...

But yeah - I did a double take on that also (but saw another VIN tag pic so looked there and saw the ##)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmm...parts car? THat seems a bit extreme.

ya sure that isn't just a big crack on the shock tower insulation?

That's why I hate that insulation crap. Hides issues as well as a place for moisture to establish and rust the metal underneath.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
With the asking (on the CL listing above) at $40k, should have taken the BaT bid at $36k... IMO...