THE Exquisite 1973 BMW 3.0CSa Fjord

bimmerbros

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is a fresh revised posting for Shawn's fjord blue 3.0CSa E9 coupe which recently appeared here on this forum. I now possess it and it is available for purchase by an appreciating new owner. I have owned and/or see/driven/cared for MANY E9s over the years and this one is quite something. AND...it recently underwent a comprehensive 2+ hour inspection by TWO trusted local coupe afficcianados for their prospective buyer with an end result being that "it was too nice for what he wanted to do to it". [I am told he wanted to build a hot rod car]. With that said, it is officially available here on this forum and I will soon post it on Ebay and Craigslist.

FJORD BLUE ON NAVY 1973 BMW 3.0CSa 36,XXX MILES IN FABULOUS NEAR-CONCOURSE CONDITION! MANY [70+] PHOTOS HERE: https://picasaweb.google.com/116946797322409050180/1973BMW30CSa#

THE OVERVIEW: [some info from Shawn] Fabulous looking/running and driving 99.9% rust-free example.
36,XXX miles on working odometer, fjord on navy vinyl. Looks to be ALL ORIGINAL interior, paint beautifully redone, mechanically excellent needing only a few minor details. Working sunroof, all windows work and working factory stereo with good [no crackling] dash speaker. A/C not currently blowing cold. Recent work includes re-cored radiator, full flush, Bilsteins shocks x4, Brakes x4 and new front vented rotors, carb adjustment, new spark plugs and converted to electronic ignition, kept the points in case someone wants them, new E24 starter. Things to be done to bring closer to perfect: tie rods/radius arm bushing slightly worn/alignment, some rubber is getting old, engine cowl, side markers, door seals, etc., foam inside hood could be replaced. Other than that everything works and is in excellent condition...small list for a 40 year old car...yes its really that nice. You can tell by the bumper rubber, dash and what not that this car has been garaged it's entire life.

The car is being offered here for $35,500 AND I will note that I also have [a] a 1985 635CSi 5 speed listed here AND a 1983 733i 5 speed listed on S.F. craigslist. I would consider a deal for the coupe INCLUDING either of those cars which both have GREAT RUNNING 3.3/3/5 liter engines with excellent 5 speed transmissions. I would also consider partial trades of lesser coupes or E28s or other plus cash.

Phone calls best please to 650-307=2251.

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any photos of the rust prone areas? Any under carriage photos? I think you have been in this game long enough to know the importance of these photos.

Brent

Reaction score
99.9% rust-free example.

So you're saying this constitutes the 0.1% of rust?

9rj69c.png

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
That probably is 1% but

The cost to rid an e9 of all rust and prevent it from coming back isn't proportional to the % of rust. That spot looks benign to me. Might not cost over a grand to fix properly (cut back to solid metal, weld on patches and paint).

Personally, originality that preserves a tendency to rust is not a plus in my book. Due to rust, I'd rather have a restored E9 that will not continue to deteriorate and can withstand an occasional drive in the rain.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How do you paint and blend/match paint that old? I see total repaint on any old paint-mine included-as inevitable after any bodywork.

The cost to rid an e9 of all rust and prevent it from coming back isn't proportional to the % of rust. That spot looks benign to me. Might not cost over a grand to fix properly (cut back to solid metal, weld on patches and paint).

Personally, originality that preserves a tendency to rust is not a plus in my book. Due to rust, I'd rather have a restored E9 that will not continue to deteriorate and can withstand an occasional drive in the rain.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario did an amazing match on my

Old e9.
It was 14 year old Polaris which is a tough match/blend to do, but his shop did it.
I could not see anything but an exact match in the shop and outside under the sun.

I'm sure there are times when perhaps it takes a second try, but everything I've seen coming-out of vsr1's shop has been right on.

John

TodB

Reaction score
VSR and paint work

I'm sure there are times when perhaps it takes a second try, but everything I've seen coming-out of vsr1's shop has been right on.

I have had partial paint work done on my car at VSR three times now over the past 12 years of my ownership. The first time I was petrified that the new paint would not match the old above and below the mid body trim. It matched perfectly in all levels of light. After the first time, I didn't even worry about the next two.

Steve/VSR is a wizard with paint.

scottd

Reaction score
Reprint

How long ago was the respray done? Either it's old, which would make the bubble less concerning, perhaps?

Or it was done more recently, so matching may be easier? But does that concern a prospective buyer, as bigger troubles lie beneath this spot and possibly elsewhere?

Do you have records confirming the history of the mileage, and any body work done to help one fill in any gaps or concerns?

bimmerbros

Reaction score
The 3.0CSa

Hello all,
I do not have extensive records on this car nor do I know the details on the respray though it is exquisite near perfect. You can see the previous post here with much detail on the car and its history. It is NICER in person than in the photos! It ended on ebay just under $30k. It supposedly brought $35k to winning bidder who went awol. In any case this is one VERY nice CS with all sorts of underside photos I took showing how clean, dry and 99.9% rust-free it is. Open to cash offers [and will consider partial $5kish trade]. Happy 2013 motoring! Evan 650-307-2251
https://picasaweb.google.com/116946797322409050180/1973BMW30CSa#