The hazards of using degreaser in engine bay

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I can save one member from having this happen to them it will put a smile on my face :lol:. And that is, be careful when spraying degreaser in your engine bay. I have to say, the products out there work amazing, however sometimes they work a little too good. Case in point, a product called Super Clean, many of you are probably familiar with it, comes in a purple bottle, it is a degreaser. Well, here is what happened, see pic. That VIN plate was in decent shape before spraying the engine bay; now all you can basically make out is the indent in the stamp of the VIN. Before, all the black paint was still on there, faded yes, but very distinguishable. I was....how do you say it?......Pissed? When I started washing everything down I looked at the plate and it was silver, not black...all the paint came off. But the stickers were fine, no problem. So, point is, make sure when you are spraying down your motor and engine bay with degreaser to mask the plate or any other older paint to metal that was not primered… I think that was the problem. It just washed right off and no way of replacing that since it is the VIN. Anything else I could probably repaint or get a new sticker, not sure what to do other than leave it as is and live with it. See stickers, they is fine, it was already faded like that, all other stickers look fine. Maybe this is common knowledge but it was a first for me and I've sprayed down engine bays before and never recall having this problem.

Attachments

• 2015-02-28 10.23.17.jpg
    2015-02-28 10.23.17.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 2015-02-28 10.23.21.jpg
    2015-02-28 10.23.21.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 2015-02-28 10.23.03.jpg
    2015-02-28 10.23.03.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 182

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a fresh bottle of Super Clean in the back seat of my DD. 2 days later I went to take it out and found it had a faulty seal. Not only did it clean my back seat, it ate through the dye. It took 4 months of back and forth with Super Clean, but they finally stepped up and paid for having the seat re dyed

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Simple Green

I've learned my lesson with Purple Power, and Super Clean. Both do degrease really well, but they can eat away certain paints.

Then there is the gift that keeps on giving in the form of oxidizing aluminum, thanks to their sodium based chemical makeup. After a month or maybe longer, you will notice a white chalky crust has developed on all the aluminum. I use steel wool to rub it off, but it will oxidize again.

Simple Green doesn't work quite as well, but mixed with some hot water, does a good job and wont start all your aluminum on an oxidizing adventure.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Replacement VIN tags

I've seen some replacement tags for sale online. You'll have to get them stamped with the VIN, but that would get you back to where you were.