The Legacy of e9coupe.com

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Most of you realize that sites like ours exist because of the collective contributions by the members. There are countless classic car websites all over the internet with an incredible amount of information, including e9coupe.com. The vast amount of knowledge and experience that's shared on this site every day is simply amazing, which brings me to the topic of our "legacy". We are all curators of our beautiful coupes, fortunate enough to enjoy them during our snapshot in time. This is also true for the knowledge and experiences that we gain while owning one or simple being an enthusiast. We started in 2003. Since that time, any and all information about coupes relevant in 2003 is still relevant today, and information gathered today will still be relevant for years to come, regardless of who the curators of the cars are. The responsibility of this site should be to preserve this information, organize it and make it available to everyone in the future. Knowledge Base, Photos, Registry and more. We're working very hard to make it as simple and easy as possible for each of the members here to contribute to the legacy.

Content and Images
When you post a new thread or reply to an existing thread you are creating content. That content is stored on a server. When you use an image to explain the content it's important to keep those two separate pieces of information together. When you attach a file to the post it gets stored on the same server as the content, connected together forever. If you link to an image on another host (photobucket, etc) the images are on their server not ours, which means we can't control it and it could be separated from the content in the future. This already happened when several image hosting companies decided to stop allowing third party links. There are several very comprehensive restoration threads on this site that were gutted and basically useless after the image links were killed. This is exactly what we're trying to avoid.

Bottom line: Always attach images to your posts!

Registry

Creating an entry on the CS Registry helps preserve each cars history and can benefit the next curator. https://bmwcsregistry.org/list/

Image Vault

A project is underway to organize all of the images that have been uploaded onto the e9coupe.com server since 2003 and separate them into categories. Each image can be "tagged" with specific keywords so users can easily find relevant photos with a search. Part of this process has to be done manually and may take up to a year to complete, all part of our legacy and worth the effort. The image vault will become active shortly and will continue to be added to on an ongoing basis.

legacy-diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is all @dang folks! His infinite wisdom and future-proofing will ensure that this is the go-to site for e9’s for decades to come. I look forward to the ride, and have already started to contribute to the FAQ (but we need your corrections and ideas).

I hope to see involvement with polls, FAQ contributions, and thread/image tagging. Also, go out to your garage, measure something on the car, jot down a part number, and report back. Content is data, and data is king!

In the few short years that I have been present here, I have witnessed multitudes of new technical discoveries, parts solutioning, motorsport history lessons, and restoration wizardry. I look forward the community continuing to take this site to the next level, while having fun in the process!!!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great work and vision here. Is there anyway to automatically grab the images (for lack of a better descriptor) that are currently hosted on other sites (mine are on Google Photos) and copy/convert them to their existing posts here so they won't ever go dark?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great work and vision here. Is there anyway to automatically grab the images (for lack of a better descriptor) that are currently hosted on other sites (mine are on Google Photos) and copy/convert them to their existing posts here so they won't ever go dark?
If they are active links and the images show in the posts then we've probably already grabbed them. We're running an add-on to this forum that's suppose to identify third party links and create attachments. I'll check into it...

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
@dang if there is anything I can do as a user to help tag the images, then please let’s me know.

Whilst I’m here I need to say that this is by far the best “enthusiasts” site I’ve ever used.

Keep up the great work and thanks for your efforts.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kudos to dang for taking on this task. The automotive content on this site is outstanding, but without the technological expertise a select group of members donate to manage this place, we wouldn't be able to use it. I really appreciate what you folks do. Having this place to hang out in adds immensely to the coupe ownership experience.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Once the images become available to everyone I'll write up a "How to" for anyone who wants to help. Thanks for volunteering Michael. Did I mention that there's over 70k images just to start with? :)

Gladly help. The more people involved the better and the quicker we can get them catalogued :)

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
wow thsnk you so much
time to send more money to the cause
i seen a lot of auto sites
yet is by far the most easily used and presented

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing work. it's starting to look like running a company. I whish I was this structured as well.
I got another 2500 images if you think it'll help...
Erik, the media section allows users to upload images into your own album and can be tagged like the rest. I'm sure your images would be very valuable...

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Erik, the media section allows users to upload images into your own album and can be tagged like the rest. I'm sure your images would be very valuable...

Thanks for pointing this out…I hadn't realised it was there. I'm going to upload pics of my car and tag them here (over time).

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, thanks for the Herculean effort and commitment we all know it takes to create and manage something like this. This entire site is amazing and will stand as your personal legacy.

Thank you so much.
Dan

TodB

Reaction score
Great job Dan.
Merdad (its so great to see your name here again!), if you recall, this site was started as a response to issues on the old Roadfly forum. At that time, we were having a number of issues with the Roadfly admins who were starting to get a bit heavy handed and in some cases, deleting posts while trying to enforce silly rules. The same thing happened on the Roadfly hosted E28 board which also left to start their own forum - there are strong personalities who get a bit excited over there :). In fact, this forum was first hosted on the same server by the same admin who ran the new mye28.com site before it transitioned to where it is now under Dan. Clearly, we have come along way since then as most members "transitioned" over from Roadfly and Dan has certainly taken the site to the next level. That all said, the power of the site is really is in the collective membership which continues to expand now very much worldwide. The camaraderie is unlike any other I've seen on any other board, car related or not. The knowledgebase and talent pool are both staggering. I learn so much just by reading posts. Its also been great to finally put some names with faces at various events over the years.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Merdad (its so great to see your name here again!), if you recall, this site was started as a response to issues on the old Roadfly forum. At that time, we were having a number of issues with the Roadfly admins who were starting to get a bit heavy handed and in some cases, deleting posts while trying to enforce silly rules. The same thing happened on the Roadfly hosted E28 board which also left to start their own forum - there are strong personalities who get a bit excited over there :). In fact, this forum was first hosted on the same server by the same admin who ran the new mye28.com site before it transitioned to where it is now under Dan. Clearly, we have come along way since then as most members "transitioned" over from Roadfly and Dan has certainly taken the site to the next level. That all said, the power of the site is really is in the collective membership which continues to expand now very much worldwide. The camaraderie is unlike any other I've seen on any other board, car related or not. The knowledgebase and talent pool are both staggering. I learn so much just by reading posts. Its also been great to finally put some names with faces at various events over the years.

Hi Tod,
This is great site and community to be a part of. I always appreciate the support I got from you, Dan and the rest of the group at the time. It turned out to be the best source for the e9 community.
Love it always.