The professor is officially for sale 1970 2800CS

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just got another offer for 50k. He said he had a buyer but He needed to make a commission. Isn't that crazy to get a car from someone you don't know to try to make money by negotiating a price for a car he doesn't own!!! Argh!!!!!

Not that crazy. You are flirting with the price range where enthusiasts pay to have their toys found for them.

bro·ker
ˈbrōkər/

noun

1. a person who buys and sells goods or assets for others.
    synonyms: dealer, agent;
    middleman, intermediary, mediator;
    liaison;
    stockbroker
    "a top Wall Street broker"

Robert A

Reaction score
I can see making an agreement for a sale, but a cold call asking for a low price so they can make a commission. I would say ok if I know who much he is getting from the client.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is nothing I hate more when selling the short call with the first question "what is your bottom dollar?". I just can't work that way. Come look at the car and then talk numbers OR already ask if you would take $X and then go from there... Good luck with the sale. I hate the process LOL

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
And need to differentiate any potential high end broker from the scammers. There is a reason many CL ads say "I don't need help selling my car"

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just got another offer for 50k. He said he had a buyer but He needed to make a commission. Isn't that crazy to get a car from someone you don't know to try to make money by negotiating a price for a car he doesn't own!!! Argh!!!!!

Not sure why this is surprising, he's either a broker or he's trying to work you down or just one of those guys that starts every inquiry with seeing if you'll negotiate with yourself... either way, he like everyone else so far thinks the price is too high to pull the trigger. As long as you're not in a hurry and you have the patience to field the inquiries, your strategy is sound.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are all types out there; I got a similar response from BAT, I don't think that is good business (I could be wrong) but they said 35K-or something like that for a reserve-, I'm like OK, no thanks. And while I know most e9's are not bringing 50+ tags, good ones are and even much more. This person at BAT did not even ask any in-depth questions before making his/her judgement, so chin up!

Tim D

Reaction score
I don't think it is at all surprising that someone would offer $50k for a car listed by an owner for $58k, but this guy is obviously not paying attention if he thought his offer would be well received.

Tim D

Reaction score
PS, so far I have been able to follow Warren Buffett's advice and buy and never sell, but this has me thinking that if I ever had to sell one of my cars I would consign it to someone else.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i would tell the guy - send the buyer directly to you and you will pay him a reasonable commission. reasonable would therefore be limited to between 2 + 5%. higher percentage based on higher amount received. face it, 50k with a 5% commission would equal 47.5k ... not worth your time, but chances are he wants 10%. you could probably sell it for 47.5k without breaking a sweat. i bet several people on this forum would pay that for the car ... the problem is, its not worth it to you to let it go for that.

Robert A

Reaction score
I think word of mouth and visitors to the site will bring someone soon. Many market so called experts are baffled why e9s are not higher priced.

Robert A

Reaction score
Took more pictures of the car. Will try to find time this weekend to post them.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have you contacted that other guy who posted a "WTB up to $70k"? Wonder why he doesn't want your car if he has $70k burning a hole in his pocket.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Robert,

You might consider submitting it to 'Bring A Trailer'. I sold my '90 MB 560SEC with 112K miles on it (excellent but not perfect condition) about 2 months ago, and the selling price exceeded my expectation (which was the reserve) by about 45%! www.bringatrailer.com My listing fee was during a special offer - $49. Their current fee is $99. The buyer pays them a 5% premium. It took me about 2 weeks to get the car listed after I first submitted it. I think I had ~100 pictures between what I had submitted and what they requested by the time it was listed.

Gary-

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll add one more important aspect of BAT for a seller. The auction is scheduled to end at a certain time on a certain date (7 days after first listed). However the auction actually continues until something like 2=3 minutes has passed without any new-higher bids. In the auction for my car, bidding went on for 15 minutes after the set end point, and the selling price increased by several thousand dollars before there were no more bids.

Much more advantageous for the seller, as there is no last second sniping as there can be on eBay

Gary

Last edited:

Robert A

Reaction score
Keith Martin says on Sports Car Market they the CSLs are hold cars now. Will this bring up the price of 3.0s and eventually 2800cs? The professor is still in my garage and I'm enjoying him.

Robert A

Reaction score
How will Wheeler Dealers make money finding and fixing an e9. Maybe they will be the seller buys the car back after it is completed. I hope it is Polaris with Blue interior for the free advertising for ebay or Bat

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Robert,

You might consider submitting it to 'Bring A Trailer'. I sold my '90 MB 560SEC with 112K miles on it (excellent but not perfect condition) about 2 months ago, and the selling price exceeded my expectation (which was the reserve) by about 45%! www.bringatrailer.com My listing fee was during a special offer - $49. Their current fee is $99. The buyer pays them a 5% premium. It took me about 2 weeks to get the car listed after I first submitted it. I think I had ~100 pictures between what I had submitted and what they requested by the time it was listed.

Gary-

I love that car. My father had that. Great styling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk