The rust debate....

m73

Reaction score
Having owned my coupe for over a decade, I thought I'd address the topic of rust...

It seems to me most would-be owners, or those looking to knock our cars down always elude to rust. While it is a serious issue, here is why I think it's beyond overrated....

Let's think that the makers of these fine cars had trouble letting them go to new homes....and they were made just to satisfy the here and now of the 70's....

What man puts up the best of anything without a price? In our case it was rust....so all that Italian design, Etcc pedigree, pilarless driving comes at the expense of that flaw.

I think we should be greatful these cars even existed and try to save as many as we can...and not always address their Achilles heel.

MF

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Those of us who enjoy working on them almost as much as driving - and I assume you're in that category - sometimes dread the incredible amount of hours and weekends one little section can take... knowing full well that section will lead further in ... to another ... and another
Sand in every orifice
In your nose hairs
In your wife's hairs
The hours pass
Now you're in her crosshairs!
My engineering daughter and her genius boyfriend are being encouraged to look into the future possibilities of a 3D computer being able to provide us all a new E9 body. I am searching for Hope.
I hate rust. I feel it growing; sense it climbing up my spine sometimes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 141

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ah rust. Having grown up in the rust belt working on rusty cars, it was important to me to find a relatively rust free coupe. I still do most of my own wrenching, so for me it is more rhan just avoiding the cost of body work. I have removed scores of nuts and bolts that were assembled more than forty years ago, and I love it when you get that little snap as the fastener breaks lose, followed by a smooth even unwinding. Clean up with a little penetrating oil, and easily reassmble with only your fingers. I have broken only one bolt in ten months of work, and that was tightening (to the wrong torque spec!), not losening.

m_thompson

Reaction score
It if was not for Coupes rusting' and my ability to fix it, I never would have been able to afford to buy one.

m73

Reaction score
I suppose if someone had a rust-free car, then they would scoff at others, also it's hard to like a potential car if it has rust....but if you have your mind set on buying one or fixing it, then it's like any other repair. Focus and dedication are supreme.

MF