The Vintage Asheville/Hot Springs NC 2021 Who's going? May 20-22. Postponed to Sept 16-18

tmh

Reaction score
That's my thinking, probably the input shaft bearing since the output has been done. Who knows, we need to pull it in a few weeks and look it over but I would like to make Gary's show with it. It didnt get any worse on the Vintage trip so we should have one more round trip to Atlanta left in it.
When I purchased my new Metric Mechanic 5 speed the information sheet that came with it stated it would rattle and be noisy in neutral with the clutch out. Pushing in the clutch eliminates the rattle. Jim Rowe of Metric Mechanic discussed with me that it was normal and explained why it occurs but I don't recall the explanation.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I purchased my new Metric Mechanic 5 speed the information sheet that came with it stated it would rattle and be noisy in neutral with the clutch out. Pushing in the clutch eliminates the rattle. Jim Rowe of Metric Mechanic discussed with me that it was normal and explained why it occurs but I don't recall the explanation.
Mine does this too. And, alas, I have also forgotten the reason why. But my tranny is quiet while I am driving.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine does this too. And, alas, I have also forgotten the reason why. But my tranny is quiet while I am driving.
My 4 speed MM transmission also does this. The information sheet explaining that this was to be expected didn't make it from the PO to me, so I'm really glad to learn this! It (hopefully) eliminates one rabbit hole to go down this winter.

And no, I have no idea why the PO would go the expense of a 4 speed MM transmission rather than moving to a 5 speed, but he did. Seems kind of odd, but I'm certainly not complaining about the MM tranny.

-Dan

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 265/6 does not rattle ever, I wonder what causes that symptom?
Mine while sitting still and clutch out does make a little noise, not much though. It’s not really a rattle, kind of a low sound. Need to make sure on the input shaft bearing. Or if it’s somewhat normal. ????

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 265/6 does not rattle ever, I wonder what causes that symptom?
Mine does not either, silent in neutral and when clutch pressed. Maybe since MM puts new indestructable stuff in it makes noise? Has everyone confirmed the condish of their pilot bearing? I went out of my way to put a German one in there.

Last edited:

Dohn

Reaction score
Here are a few shots I got of the entire group. Had a terrific time, and the coupe ran great. Did have to bail out the driver's side mat and carpet after I got home, after driving through torrential rain between Asheville and Hot Springs.

Thanks to Gary for recruiting the coupes. It was a great turnout on what turned out to be a beautiful, if slightly muggy, day.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    660.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    626 KB · Views: 120

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are a few shots I got of the entire group. Had a terrific time, and the coupe ran great. Did have to bail out the driver's side mat and carpet after I got home, after driving through torrential rain between Asheville and Hot Springs.

Thanks to Gary for recruiting the coupes. It was a great turnout on what turned out to be a beautiful, if slightly muggy, day.
Thanks Dohn,
FYI, Dohn was very busy helping the BMWCCA Foundation set up for the day. He was the first car there.
I got there along with a couple others at 8:15.
Parked my car where you see them in the photos, went and found Dohn and he was gracious enough to give me his key and let me position his car for the day.
It was fun and Dohn and I had a pretty good run down the mountain from Hot Springs. :)
Gary

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Need some help identify e9 owners who attended the vintage for possible article In BMWCCCA Ultimate Classic Magazine:
Missing three names.
This is who I have from left to right in the photo below:
Dan&Nick Wood:Nachtblau,
Don Bower:Baikal,
Dennis Topper: Polaris,
Dohn Roush:Schwarz,
Gary Beck:Avus blue,
John Margherita: Polaris,
George Whitley:Baikal,
Terry?:Schwarz,
Phil Parkey: Baikal
Chris Schroeder: Polaris,
Sam Klietz:Sienna,
Terry Semchyshyn: polaris,
Rob Anderson:Verona

any help would be appreciated
thanks,
john M
2697E6D5-08B9-4F78-95DB-2AA027514502.jpeg

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You got it. George Whitely Baikal and tan. The Sienna car is a young guy. Sam Klietz. Lives in Atlanta. He's a member of this forum but don't remember his handle.
Thanks for identifying everyone John. I was negligent in doing this that day.
Gary Beck

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are missing a few names it won’t be an issue as Dirk prefers to only list CCCA members which I understand. Glad you are doing an article, readers are probably getting tired of mine and I have one in the pipeline on my e12.