There are nut jobs... and then there are certified nutjobs

(Minus the Russia part obviously. At least the political and militaristic section. The people on the streets appeared to be really great)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing...quite an adventure...I can't believe those guys in the steam powered vehicle or the trike. Man, crazy... I am only 11 mins. in, will keep watching periodically throughout the day, I am hooked. This is the kind of stuff that I play the lottery for...LOL.

My ambition after the Panamericana is to do this some day. About $60k for a team of two, though. Plus getting your vehicle ready and all that kind of thing. Still, a man can dream. A real romantic adventure in a shrinking world mostly bereft of that.

So, I went to the Lime Rock Historic Festival in the fall of 2018, and met at breakfast this very nice couple from the UK. They were driving a Bugatti, of course, because in 2018 Bugatti did its annual gathering in the USA in upstate NY, and large numbers of the Bugatti owners arrived early and participated in the Lime Rock Festival. The car in question was a Type 43 (I think), which had the name "Blanche" written on the boat tail.

The couple had been neighbors, and both had an interest in cars. After their spouses died, they began doing rallys together in the UK. That went well, so they began doing longer rallys. Then they did the Peking to Paris rally. That well, so they go married.

IMG_0924.jpg

Favorite participant comment: From this Australian lady: “ I am no longer afraid. I’ve decided if it’s Time to die, it’s time to die.”

That’s the spirit!

nop, sorry. (I'm in the Netherlands)
Haha, I wasn’t suggesting it was you, ;). I was asking anyone in neighboring countries if they might have heard of these Danish owners. (@Jasper was the only person I could find in Denmark through the Member Map option)

Which is kind of like the old joke “Oh, you’re from Los Angeles? Excellent. Do you know Bob?”

Last edited:
Jim Taylor did Peking to Paris in a 1941 Buick Super Convertible.

He recently sold off his collection of Jaguars which, I believe, was the most complete collection of Jags in the US from XKSSs to every year 120,140,150, XKE & a D Type. The collection & automobilia was incredible to see with Jim’s stories made the collection come alive. At the time it was the best private collections I had ever seen.

Since then I’ve seen a private collection in San Raphael CA which was so well done I thought this is incredible. Then we went through a little door & I was not prepared for what I saw. I counted 20 Deusenbergs artfully displayed in their own dioramas. Several I recall from the red Deusenberg book. As I remember, several
Had won their classes at Pebble Beach &
2 or 3 won best of show & appeared on a number of the posters. I was not allowed to take any photos. I also had to turn off my phone.

I don't know anything about this era of cars but it says that this "rally prepared" Buick sold for $7k ??? I was reading that some people spend up to $100k to prepare a car for that rally. Obviously the standard of preparation in 2007 was probably less stringent and the rally was probably somewhat "easier" back then but that seems like quite a good deal as a starting point if you are interested in going on that adventure.

Interesting to hear that these older cars (1950's and before) are often preferred because a) they are built tougher and b) it is easier to repair simpler mechanicals when the only garage in the neighborhood is an old gas station in the middle of Kazakstan.

When you see what they go through in that video, it is hard to imagine how that e9 will survive much past the half way point.

Last edited:
The entrants of the 2019 race are very interesting and not always what one would expect based on the ballyhooed photos of the event -- you'd think more unreliably hot-rodded 356/911s that invariably crash on oil slicks left behind by jalopies but that isn't the case: https://www.endurorally.com/events/the-7th-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge/

Shout out to Mr. Balls of Steel with his '65 Jaguar XKE. But there's a pretty good cross section of cars, all interesting in their own right, and very diverse: '73 Jensen Interceptor III, '75 Ferrari 208 GT4, '54 Sunbeam Alpine, '53 Riley 2.6, '75 Mitsubishi Lancer, and a 1907 Contal Mototri Tricycle. Remarkable that the winner of that year's rally was a Leyland P76. Only one BMW -- a 2002Ti. No BMWs in 2007. One '38 BMW 321 Coupe in 2010. Misters Sorensen and Lauritsen raced a 2002 TII back in 2016 and an Italian team raced a BMW 518. Then in 1997, the first of the revival races, someone attempted a '38 BMW 328 Sports Tourer.

That 1997 race has some crazy entrants, just some really valuable cars: https://www.endurorally.com/events/the-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge-1997/ Namely, Bugatti Type 40, Delage D8, two DB5s, the 328, and especially that Bentley 4.5 Liter Sports.

So enjoyed this video. What an experience. Such a cross section of automobiles and amazing courage shown by entrants. Watching and listening to the interviews, I could feel the bonding and the camaraderie building, even maxed out as one entrant admitted he dreaded reaching Paris because the event would end! So many types of cars tried to beat the odds of breakdown. From what I saw, it is impossible, and you will need help. But participants are forever changed. If I were to ever attempt such a drive, I am sure ground clearance and stiff chassis are prerequisites, ( and perhaps at least 29 tires!) but of course, no guarantees. Thanks for posting, Bo!

BTW, 2024 participant list is full. But there is 1 E9 registered.

Last edited:
Jim Taylor did Peking to Paris in a 1941 Buick Super Convertible.

He recently sold off his collection of Jaguars which, I believe, was the most complete collection of Jags in the US from XKSSs to every year 120,140,150, XKE & a D Type. The collection & automobilia was incredible to see with Jim’s stories made the collection come alive. At the time it was the best private collections I had ever seen.

Since then I’ve seen a private collection in San Raphael CA which was so well done I thought this is incredible. Then we went through a little door & I was not prepared for what I saw. I counted 20 Deusenbergs artfully displayed in their own dioramas. Several I recall from the red Deusenberg book. As I remember, several
Had won their classes at Pebble Beach &
2 or 3 won best of show & appeared on a number of the posters. I was not allowed to take any photos. I also had to turn off my phone.
San Rafael or Sonoma? Sounds like the Keller collection

Back