Thinking of buying this '51 GMC...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I owned a '50 Chevy pickup in the past so I know what I'm getting into, just came across this one for a good price and thought I'd jump at it. Very solid, all original and protected well over the years. I like them stock and original so I would just clean it up and make it roadworthy. Wadda ya think?

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 110

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't help it. I bought it. I'll be needing a stock air cleaner and stock steel wheels that hold the center caps to start with. If anyone knows of any...

Attachments

• front-1200.jpg
    front-1200.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 95

TREMK

Reaction score
I have 1950 chevy 3100. Mine is a resto mod. My wife wanted to be able to drive it so had to get a automatic, really wanted what you got. Just a old stick shift farm truck. BTW she has driven the truck once about seven years ago. Nice

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 1950 chevy 3100. Mine is a resto mod. My wife wanted to be able to drive it so had to get a automatic, really wanted what you got. Just a old stick shift farm truck. BTW she has driven the truck once about seven years ago. Nice

I'm sorry but your "Nice" comment made me laugh out loud at work. I was just talking with a guy at the local EuroSunday event last weekend that has three "fun" cars and said he's sold and bought similar vehicles the same color without his wife knowing it was different. I learned to give some of the profits from cars I flip to my wife. Now she asks me when I'm getting another car! Yeah baby!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats Dan! I friend of mine sold one of these some years ago, for a song....misses it dearly...cries when reminded of this mental lapse. :( Your next step shall surely be that prime rural property. Best of luck. Mike

TREMK

Reaction score
I couldn't help it. I bought it. I'll be needing a stock air cleaner and stock steel wheels that hold the center caps to start with. If anyone knows of any...

Wish I had some parts for you but don't at the time. I have used LMC truck for parts reproduction but good quality and a good company to deal with. I'm also looking for a rural property. E9s, old trucks and open space. Nice!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats! You bought a chicken truck!

Not a GMC, but reminds me of the intro of my favorite sitcom of the '70s: Sanford and Son!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats! You bought a chicken truck!
Not a GMC, but reminds me of the intro of my favorite sitcom of the '70s: Sanford and Son!

And, my side business is hauling away scrap at body shops and my son works with me. Time for a logo on the door...

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty sure we have a stock set of wheels, might be expensive to ship from NM to CA. let me know if you want me to search

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pretty sure we have a stock set of wheels, might be expensive to ship from NM to CA. let me know if you want me to search

Yes please! That would be awesome. I'm pretty sure you know more about these trucks than I do so let me know what you have and whether or not you think it would be good for my truck. I'm looking for steel wheels, 15" or 16", without locking rings and will just be using the truck to cruise around town like a cool guy.

Dan

gwittman

Reaction score
I have always liked that range of year GMC. My dad had one for a while when I was growing up on the farm in Kansas. By the time I was able to drive legally at 14, he had a 54 Ford which I liked too. It had a strange problem of occasionally not shutting off when turning the key off. It was not dieseling, it just kept idling. I would put it in gear and just dump the clutch. That shut her down.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Checked, only have two original, but they will be replaced....son's truck wants to put deep steel wheels on, will let you know

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Checked, only have two original, but they will be replaced....son's truck wants to put deep steel wheels on, will let you know

I have one 15" original style with the clips for a hubcap. Eventually I'd like five since I have a spare tire holder, but I'm interested in yours if/when you want to part with them.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I had the truck moved to storage and when the tow driver strapped it down he attached to the rear axle. Seemed fine, then he hit a big bump leaving the complex and the truck bounced on the flatbed and snapped both rear leaf springs. Crap. But I'm wondering if it might have done that while driving down the road in the future. Bummer....

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Dan, truck is old, stuff will happen. Now you get to repair/upgrade and make it better than it has ever been. I mean, you do want to get out there in traffic right? So there are decades of improvements you should make anyways, now you have your first opportunity! Mike