Thoughts on a 1999 e36 M3 Coupe

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Again, thanks everyone for the comments, I knew there would be some owners on this board- I guess if I enter the 12 step program to curb my addiction I may meet many of you in person!

Andrew, I have a dopy rear spoiler that is stock- is there a reason yours is deleted?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine never had a rear spoiler. True rear spoiler cars have the 3rd brake light in the wing like yours. Mine has the light on the parcel shelf.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got it Andrew, thanks. BTW, love this car, I just ordered the new Michelin Pilot Sports and I have a laundry list of stuff to do. All maintenance has been done but I will be replacing all the motor mounts and trans mounts, the shocks/struts and refreshing the brakes. Thank goodness the seats are near perfect but have rub marks- no cracks so a dye job and proper conditioning will hopefully do the trick. I'm going to put a lighter but more modern window tint all around and likely add the braces mentioned above if they are not permanent. I want to keep her 100% stock because It will handle better than I'll ever be able to drive it, as is likely the case with any YUGO, and there is just something about the originality of the car that is appealing to me.

Can anyone recommend an M3-specific book and any reference sites or valuable vendors for parts would be appreciated as well

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats Peter - I enjoy my E36 M3 Sedan and hope to have it for a long time. Best bang for the buck out there right now. Mine is pretty much bone stock - all I have done is upgrade the speakers with bavsound replacements as the original ones were shot. I also don't see the need to upgrade much - the car offers more than enough performance for my driving habits. I typically use ECS Tuning or Turner Motorsport for my parts.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to hang around the M3 Forum. (Handle there was Salty)
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10
Lot's of information there. I bought some parts from Turner Motorsports and others. The Robert Bentley manual for the E36 is a must have.
If you want to upgrade the sound but remain stock looking, the CD43 radio unit is better than the stock cassette and drops in. I see you have the preferable steering wheel and airbag combo. Much nicer than the one that came on Pre 99 US spec M3's. Another thing I found was that BMW has a specific gearbox oil for these manuals. Seemed to work better than any other product I tried.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Second the Bentley E36 manual. Amazon has a decent selection of M3 specific coffee table style books. Check out the specs for the Dinan suspension and other E36 products have made a huge difference to mine. Recommend putting in a Stewart high performance water pump, it has a stainless impeller. Also like the newly designed UUC short shift kit it's smooth and precise.

Though my M3 is the best car I've ever owned and love it, I have several forum accounts for the car that I never visit. You all know I'm a BMW enthusiast through and through yet when it comes to the E36 M3 or the bimmer forums, I just don't have the interest as I do with the E9, 2002FAQ & E28 forums.

TodB

Reaction score
Another E36 M3 (sedan) owner. Mines a '99 with the older manifold, bigger injectors, stage 2 software, euro intake, TC Kline coilovers, etc. all courtesy of the PO. I got it off of BaT last year. Mines at 163k but the bearings have been done, the heads been off and cleaned and the Vanos serviced. The motor is sewing machine smooth. These are a lot of car for the money and good ones appear to be creeping up in price

Oh, I've got some smoked tail and side lights available if you want to tart yours up a bit.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That reminds me, I stil have some mint stock Sedan taillights if anybody wants stock.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow guys, I have not driven the M3 since I had to order the tires. I just got them put on on Tuesday and when they took the old one off it literally just crumbled at the sidewall.
upload_2017-4-27_13-21-50.jpeg

I also picked up an 88 535is for 2k, rode hard but will be presentable in a couple of years :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, we have twins!
I drive very conservatively on the road and have the Porsche and Shelby for track days. I am trying to keep the e36 as completely stock as possible. I replaced all the shift bushings yesterday and am looking forward to a test drive this weekend. I'll change the belts and Transmission mounts next, then thinking of throwing her on a trailer and taking a road trip to a national park and doing some tour-camping :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ed, turned over the e28 quickly- a break even, put about 50 hours in and decided I'd rather drive than spend all my free time under the car. The car was nice but way too much work :-(

I'm on step 1 of 12

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, we have twins!
I drive very conservatively on the road and have the Porsche and Shelby for track days. I am trying to keep the e36 as completely stock as possible. I replaced all the shift bushings yesterday and am looking forward to a test drive this weekend. I'll change the belts and Transmission mounts next, then thinking of throwing her on a trailer and taking a road trip to a national park and doing some tour-camping :)

Enjoy, sounds like time well spent.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My son just sold his '97 M3 coupe (silver) with 160k on it for $6500 in northern CA. Full Ground Control suspension, forged motorsport wheels and otherwise stock. Great car. I drive an '01 M3 and they both have their good points. Congrats!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Though my M3 is the best car I've ever owned and love it, I have several forum accounts for the car that I never visit. You all know I'm a BMW enthusiast through and through yet when it comes to the E36 M3 or the bimmer forums, I just don't have the interest as I do with the E9, 2002FAQ & E28 forums.

Agree Andrew, plus I have been able to get reliable answers for almost every vintage and/or semi vintage BMW I own on this forum-even my Porsche, There is one exception, there is a guy in Japan "Shogun" who is on Bimmerforums, he knows allot, has some awesome posts and has a good line on parts from around the world. I have dealt with him, he's a super guy so I'm sure he could help with non-e9 BMW issues and at least I can recommend him for what it's worth.