Tii owner with Coupé envy

Ron Plantz

Ron
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I put something in Off Topic. I got comments from some “well known members” and a couple interested parties so didn’t see the need to list in “Cars” area.

Have not listed on 2002faq. I have a couple tii friends and I’m kind of embarrassed that I want to sell something they helped me find. Just trying to be patient. If I overpaid then I’ll hold on to it till the market or inflation catches up.

Thanks for your input. And I never cease to be amazed at the old iron in southern Arizona with no rust. Just sunburn.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ron, i love the colors of this tii. not always a fan of green cars, but the combo of the agave and that beautiful tan are really nice. wish i was in the market.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know a Coupe owner looking for a turnkey sunroof '72-'73 2002Tii.

I say, if I could only have one older BMW, it would be Vern, my 1973 2002Tii.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you sell, I was told by an old car-swapping addict to be careful putting a green car in an auction as no reserve or expecting a quick sell. He said folks have strong opinions and there can be a green premium or a green discount. But you need more than 1 person who really wants a green car to make an auction work, and that can be tricky (other than standard-bearing BRG cars). After watching more closely, I think there's likely some truth to this.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think there is a lot of truth to that Jay ... it really depends on the color of green and how good the photography is. i think that is very true with the pics of this tii. a couple of the pics peaked my interest because of the color in the sunlight ... earlier pics had me yawning. i love the color of the interior in this tii with the green

Ron Plantz

Ron
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does look better in the sunlight.

upload_2019-3-14_9-33-13.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-14_9-32-36.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-14_9-32-36.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 142

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love it. Asked daughters if they really intend to attend college and whether state school could be an option. Unfortunately they do and it is not. Any changes in that, and I'm a buyer!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering what folks think would sell for more if the body and mechanicals were equal. The Malaga one on Minilites vs the stock Agave one.

TodB

Reaction score
After 16 years of coupe ownership, I added a 2002. I walk by the coupe and drive the 02 everyday. Every day. I probably drive the coupe monthly. When I do, it’s like, “oh that’s what torque is” or “this is a really nice car. “ I’d drive it cross country tomorrow.

I did drive a Tii a couple of weeks back. It was in perfect tune with a bit more power than my 02 but very civilized. I prefer my Weber carbed, gassy smelling, buzzy ansa’d version.

Ron, find a way to keep your Tii.

Attachments

• 80376B63-658C-440E-879A-B0A1257D7D8B.jpeg
    80376B63-658C-440E-879A-B0A1257D7D8B.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 100

Ron Plantz

Ron
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Folks that have both more than likely can turn a wrench or well healed. Neither applies to me. Gettting a couple minor cosmetic fixes that will add to my basis so I’m guessing I will own it for a while. I’m fine with that. But I’ll still keep my eyes open for a coupe.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ron -- I spent three years looking for my coupe, watching everything that came on the market here, going to events where coupe owners were likely to be in attendance, and learning as I went along. I actually started acquiring parts before I bought the car, knowing that I wanted certain specific things that were difficult to acquire.

In your situation, I recommend that you build a relationship with a shop that can work on old BMWs and get to know other BMW nuts in your area. These both can enhance your enjoyment of the tii, and either one can be a source of cars that don't hit the market.

G

Reaction score
Hi Ron, Have you driven a coupe before ? Not the same ride at all. The coupe is definitely prettier but might not be your bag of tea as they say !
I find the coupe at least in stock form feels to be more of a, sexy smooth, sleek cruiser , If you closed your eyes and were being driven in a coupe (wind noise aside) you wouldn't feel like you were in a vintage 1970's car. The 02 more of a cute box built like a truck, ready to plow throw anything and can chew up corners as well. Its a whole lot of little car ...:) Can I say that ?

I know this is a Bmw forum but maybe an Alfa Gtv can be a nice compromise between the two ! Bertone bulit curvaceous body and equal or better performance than an 02 or coupe and an engine sound that's sure to keep a smile on your face
There"s an interesting outlaw GTV on BAT right now. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-alfa-romeo-gtv-2000-10/
Put up your speakers & watch the video...:)
Hope you find what your looking for !

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve driven stage 2 2002’s and 2liter GTV’s and the BMW’s are generally better at everything except
(1) style
(2) sound

Even on the track 2002’s generally are better than GTV’s. Now yes I know Alfa and Porsche dominated the GTU class back in the day, but in terms of what I see on track with SVRA, the 2002 is the superior car.

If I were to get another street classic, it would be a GTV.

Last edited: