Took engine out, now what?

aguirola

Reaction score
Took engine out, to clean out battery rust and other small corrections that needed repainting.
Photos attached. Please read after the photos
66bde8ae-1081-457a-a72d-92ca99bec155.JPG
c25d41c6-1f26-4e97-a54d-d69bd61e1dbf.JPG
aff5f653-4f2a-442f-9cc5-ee35d9cc12bf.JPG
c2c8633a-2a87-4632-9a11-f289c57a37a0.JPG
e4cc87a1-1206-40b0-becf-877c746802c6.JPG
dce7bace-b1bd-4e4a-b546-34384915041d.JPG
1bbdde25-cd10-445f-9d79-37432da09ff8.JPG
6da35ec5-0ee7-4a6c-b599-658c5fc23b3e.JPG
2823c3b5-0cb7-486f-b890-1dc3730c1d80.JPG

The issue is that the engine being out, had to go and peek at the main and rod brgs.

There are some small scratches on crank. The engine was running quite nicely, it is
a Korman 3.2 conversion with 40 DCOE, cam, etc. Plenty of power, no smoke, no overheating,
considering I am in the tropics.

What now? I can strip the whole engine, or just stop here. Button it up and keep on trucking.

If engine disassembly, what is a good parts source in Europe? My son is in France / Italy.

Thank you for kind advice.

Regards, Alberto

Bwana

Reaction score
A mini-restoration, looks good. If you were not having any engine issues before the removal, I'd put it back together and drive off

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I read your title I thought you were going to do what I do. Take the engine out and stare at it for about ten years!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
From your description of how the engine was running, I would do the gaskets, put it back in the car and keep on rolling.

aguirola

Reaction score
Thank you all on the kind comments. The engine will be back in, in less than 6 weeks.

Would be nice to dream of the LS, but then it will take me forever. Too many projects :)

A dogleg transmission would be great, are they available?

If I take the crank out for polishing, then I have to strip the whole engine.

It will be gaskets, seals and new rod bolts, as they all are coming off. The whole job for less than $1k.

The engine is a Korman 3.2 built in 1999, but not more than 3k miles on it.

For the Head Gasket, Elring or Goetze? If you have a source, that would be great.
Alternately, my son can mail it from Europe.

Regards, Alberto

PS. Are reinforcements (gussets) a good idea on the front cross-member?

aguirola

Reaction score
Back to the story...

I think it is always like this, pull the engine to restore engine bay, and of course, wouldn't you know it?
the motor need a rebuild, it will be the last one in its life. Or I can live the thing how they were...Meanwhile, polished the crank.
it a 3.2 Korman motor, Phase 2, as they call it.

Improve by switching to a 3.5?

Possibly you can help, with what to do in this project, as I need new pistons / rings and a re-bore.
Gasket set, bearings. Should not be too bad...
Seat the valves and off we go.

What is a good source for parts, J&E pistons or CR, or? Gasket set, complete engine,

Please don't spare comments, as I need all I can get.

Thank you.
Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
A 3,5 sounds appealing, but, where do I find one, and most important of all, it most likely will also need a rebuild?

Low mileage 3,5 are probably a handful, albeit all I need is the block, head and internals. No inlet or outlet manifold.

Shipping is another issue, as between one thing and another, just shipping in the USA to FL. is a largish expense,

then to El Salvador, another $ 500 then, taxes, etc.

Does a 3,5 crank fit a 3,2 motor, or probably have to change rods?

Thank you for the tips.

Regards, Alberto

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Alberto -- I am confused. You stated that the engine ran great and that it only has 3k miles on it since it was last rebuilt. Why do you believe it now needs to be rebuilt?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to the story...
I need new pistons / rings and a re-bore.
Gasket set, bearings. Should not be too bad...
Seat the valves and off we go.

Thank you.
Regards, Alberto

Why does a motor with, "not more than 3k miles," need new bearings, pistons, rings, etc.?

aguirola

Reaction score
Brilliant observations guys, but as usual, Murphy and his ugly little head showed up.

Conclusions, lack of use / abuse :

1. maintenance by previous owner during 15 years might have not been the best,
with that extremely low mileage since the rebuild, probably started up by the gardener, and revved while cold.

2. No oil changes, and zero maintenance

3. head gasket deterioration, leaked into a pair of cylinders, creating rust spots. Lack of rust prevention in the coolant, not much.
(remember, same gardener with water hose)

4. Leaked (made here) battery is another perfect example, creating rust where none was. I have know this car since it got here, and it was spotless.

5. I have driven it since owning it, but guilty as charged also, very few miles :)

Therefore, rebuild time and back on the saddle. Tomorrow, I will see the issues firsthand, as yet to, but in cell. photos.

The crank is polished, and it really, really needed it...$30, not too bad.

Will keep you appraised of more conclusions...

Thank you for the kind comments / realities!

Regards, Alberto

PS. Have a CSL spoiler, of a few that we made here.

Put one on the other project race car, and now is the time to install it on the engine-less one. Does it look good with the Euro bumper?