Tool Kit Auction

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hypothesis concerning BMW tool kits. Back in the 70's and 80's, people actually did some of their own stuff, didn't call "the man". Thus, tools got misplaced and lost. Fast forward to now. Nobody ( but us) does any work on anything anymore, they call someone for everything...so why have tools in the car? We all know a little knowledge and some tools get you there faster than waiting for AAA ( waits are probably on the rise as people call for every little thing I am sure).

I just hope that the Woody Allen move "Sleeper" where the "orgasmatron" first appeared, does not actually come to be. What was fiction then, may not be in the future.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hypothesis concerning BMW tool kits. Back in the 70's and 80's, people actually did some of their own stuff, didn't call "the man". Thus, tools got misplaced and lost. Fast forward to now. Nobody ( but us) does any work on anything anymore, they call someone for everything...so why have tools in the car? We all know a little knowledge and some tools get you there faster than waiting for AAA ( waits are probably on the rise as people call for every little thing I am sure).

I just hope that the Woody Allen move "Sleeper" where the "orgasmatron" first appeared, does not actually come to be. What was fiction then, may not be in the future.
Rob, When we reach our 80s we may need the orgasmatron!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know a guy who works for AAA that has a console air vent!..........................naaaa

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score

When I see the small Tesla sedan, I think of the car in Sleeper.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This kind of thing makes you NOT want to include in sale if you sell your baby. Better off keeping it. I don’t think price you get for E9 or E3 will offset $2K. Plus if you buy another you are all set. Saves you the time of building full set again. Meaning if I sell E3 and buy an E9. I will just transfer set. Most likely new (used) E9 won’t have the full set. If not keep this for negotiating tactics. But that can go both ways.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$2,539.00 + 10% or 5% buyers premium, whatever it is...$3K used to buy me a nice running '02........LOL. well that settles it, I'm keeping my full set + kit if I ever sell the Bav. Oh, but wait, inflation is transitory.....riiiiiiggghhhht. I bet Potato Head is regretting getting rid of the Keystone Pipeline about now....begging OPEC for more output, you can't fix stupid....this is just the beginning folks.....hold on to your toolkits. Gas prices in ID have MORE THAN DOUBLED since I came here last Dec. You'll need those tool kits to fix a few things down the road, if not, use it to pay off your mortgage!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Obviously someone w/deep pockets w/an E9 already done.

I can think of 1000 other things on my E9 I can spend $3k on. Like wood restoration.
Yes that is always the first thing I say is the biggest difference between restoring an e9 and an e3. ALL THE WOOD. But less paint and two less doors, not sure if that comes out in the wash or not? All I know is you get way more bang for the buck after restoring a coupe than the sedan....there is no arguing that!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I spent $450 on a 36AH lead acid battery, $350 on CSL hood pins, $1,200+ on HL wipers, $2,500 on scheels.

Coming from someone who has spent reasonably absurd money on absurd albeit rare BMW parts, this auction was extra absurd.

No fault to @paul cain. The money is going towards a great cause. All parties will benefit. It’s still crazy town though…

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$600 and many days to go. Any bets on if this tool kit will break $1000? I hope e24 took kits follow the rise in value
JFENG, I will bet you this will break $1000.00. Before noon. :) This tool kit going to a great home. The buyer just found his mom's E3 Bavaria and bought it back and is restoring it. It doesn't get any better.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
JFENG, I will bet you this will break $1000.00. Before noon. :) This tool kit going to a great home. The buyer just found his mom's E3 Bavaria and bought it back and is restoring it. It doesn't get any better.
Well this may be a great story to hear about! Cool

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice to see this set move owners.

Now that it has been closed, I hope my questions won't hurt anybody.

Where the stepped pin, spark plug tube small pliers and large pliers the corrects version however?
I think ...
-Stepped pin should have a non reduced diameter at the bottom( continuous thickness towards the end)
- small pliers should not have wire cutters next to the hinge. Is indicative of post e9 version
- large pliers have the coarse pattern on the handles, the e9 original has small diamonds+text on it.
Spark plug socket has white plastic thingy I side, should be a metal clip.

If I'm correct (which I am never sure off..) it would mean that a full correct tray would fetch, what, 3500 usd? More?