Top bolt style oil filter change parts

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am changing the oil in a friend's e9 and it has the top bolt cannister on a 3.5 liter block I think. Are these the same internal parts as the dreaded bottom bolt sysstem which I am used to? Is there a realiem link for these? Thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The filter is very different.

Attachments

• 1C21330F-87A6-4619-8335-B792D4B1557F.jpeg
    1C21330F-87A6-4619-8335-B792D4B1557F.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 96

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right -
My car came originally with the bottom bolt housing. Sometime in the past - it was converted to the top bolt.
The two filters are VERY different. I forgot that one time when I was ordering parts for the E9. I went by the book and ordered what was supposed to fit.
As soon as I put the filter in the cabinet and saw it was different than the one I had already... I knew I screwed up and forgot that I needed to get a non-original part.

So, now I pretend the car I need a filter for is an 1981 E12, 528i... or similar... when it is time to get the oil filters.... Those cars have the top bolt housing.

SFDon has the car now... I have no idea what the filter requirements will be when it comes back (with new engine and LOTS of other stuff....)

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am changing the oil in a friend's e9 and it has the top bolt cannister on a 3.5 liter block I think. Are these the same internal parts as the dreaded bottom bolt sysstem which I am used to? Is there a realiem link for these? Thanks.

Why do you call it the 'dreaded' bottom bolt system? There is nothing wrong with this set up as far as I can see and also easy to change filter.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's messy and sometimes challenging to get the cannister back on correctly with the spring pressure while tightening the bolt. I've gone to a spin on adapter for my car.

Why do you call it the 'dreaded' bottom bolt system? There is nothing wrong with this set up as far as I can see and also easy to change filter.