Topend performance rear strut brace & battery relocation

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't used one, just checked their website.

My hesitation would be that stock shocktowers are prone to crack at the top. Does this brace do anything to mitigate that risk? I doubt it. I would reinforce the top of the shock tower prior to installing this brace.

Aren't there other braces that bolt to the top thread of the shock? (and having no experience; would that even work, as some flex seems needed to compensate for angle changes of the shock during up and down travel of the wheel?)
Erik.

shanon

Reaction score
Been running a rear cross brace /battery relocation for years, no issues here.

Wazza

Reaction score
I haven't used one, just checked their website.

My hesitation would be that stock shocktowers are prone to crack at the top. Does this brace do anything to mitigate that risk? I doubt it. I would reinforce the top of the shock tower prior to installing this brace.

Aren't there other braces that bolt to the top thread of the shock? (and having no experience; would that even work, as some flex seems needed to compensate for angle changes of the shock during up and down travel of the wheel?)
Erik.
Hi Erik

That was my thought and I'm sure I'd seen one for sale or on a car that strengthened the top.

Thanks
Warren

Wazza

Reaction score
Have you changed to coil overs?
No I'm just sorting out what changes I will make to my car. Have an E34 M5 S38B38 engine and 265 box to go in so it will need some beefing up here and there. It's all standard at the moment (3.0 and 4 speed).

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
These are very popular on E21's. The fitment seems to be 'acceptable' but not perfect. Some have more trouble installing than others.

nice unit
how does it really help?

Personally I think if it's not a welded in X across the whole area, it's mostly for looks. Nothing wrong with that if you like the way it looks though.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
The shock towers don't experience any lateral load so bracing them laterally does not help. Struts, on the other hand, DO benefit from lateral bracing as they do experience lateral loads under cornering.....that's why a front strut brace makes a difference.

I also can't see how this would help at all for the weakness at the top of the shock tower because it braces the side.

That being said, I think they look cool and they do make a nice place to hold the battery, and moving the battery to the trunk makes sense. There may also be a teeny benefit to the chassis by simply connecting two pieces together, but you could say that about many places on the car.

I may get one some day, certainly nothing bad about them but they aren't really bracing anything.

daddywad

Reaction score
Daddywad does these; Alpina Style;
DSC_0319.JPG
DSC_0320.JPG
DSC_0317.JPG
oes these Alpina style;

Attachments

• DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 362
  • DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 124

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
No disrespect to the TEP kit, but I like the Daddywad version a lot better. Maybe I'm just squeamish, but I hate the thought of drilling into good clean shock towers. It's the same concern on '02's as well.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have to say that these pieces from Daddywad look excellent ... probably don't fit well with our wheel covers ... but its a nice looking piece of kit. so what do they cost?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
395 UK pounds last time i checked for the rear brace. But he may be in for a group buy, like what is organized with him for the front braces.

I have a front brace from daddywad, and it is a piece of art. Well engineered & well fabricated. (as i didn't fit it yet, i can't comment on fitment)

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
I purchased one from him sometime ago, but haven't gotten around to fitting it yet, as the car just came out of the paint booth. I can say that it sure looks good and is made of good quality material. It wasn't cheap though!