Triple carburetors

Alejandro Giraldo

Reaction score
Hello all
I had decide to fit my car with triple carburetors and I wonder what is the best option out there
Any advise is highly appreciated
I am doing an engine swap on my e9 and I will using one from a 1985 635csi euro specs with a 5 speed Getrag

Can you guys post a pictures of your engine bay showing all the goodies?

Thank you

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I still don't know how some of them get their engine bays that clean :) Good luck with the swap out

shanon

Reaction score
As requested. Everyone's setup will likely vary.

These Weber references are excellent.
The conversion is a journey, be patient.
It's very rewarding. ;)

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20210409_121936.jpg
    20210409_121936.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210408_153604.jpg
    20210408_153604.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 154

Alejandro Giraldo

Reaction score
Thank you Shanon
I bet it is a long journey but I am willing to take this path now and then enjoy it to the fullest

Nice and clean engine bay I must say

Thank you for sharing

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have just finished designing and producing a triple side draft linkage system just for the M30s you might be interested in. I've already made a similar system for the 2002s based on the original BMW 2002ti side draft linkage system and we have been selling that for a few years. I will post photos of the M30 version soon but here are some pics of the M10 version and our latest batch of linkage parts.

Mounted on DCOEs.png
Top Front.JPEG
210422 Plated (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hal--There's not enough room in my engine bay AND trunk for all of these parts!!!!! :)
The shop only had to use the stuff from Pierce Manifold to correct the weird linkage that was on the car when I bought it.
Alejandro--The middle carb is very-very close to your brake booster.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 154

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's a long and winding thread on my setup:

img_7987-1-jpeg.109799

stphers

Reaction score
Steve, love the look and function of your intake system but the German in me is driven crazy every time I see your set up because the air filter housing is not square to the engine. The technical side of me tells me why but, like I said, that other part of me goes crazy Ha Ha

Thanks, Rick

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hah yes totally agree but it's the fender adapter bracket and having to avoid a/c hoses which accounts for that. Were the housings ever perfectly square to the engine?

1973-bmw-30-csi-coupe.jpg

0000-BMW-3.0_CS-346861452612907_800x600.jpg

Steve, love the look and function of your intake system but the German in me is driven crazy every time I see your set up because the air filter housing is not square to the engine. The technical side of me tells me why but, like I said, that other part of me goes crazy Ha Ha

Thanks, Rick

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve--Now that you have some miles on your VGS intake system, is the car performing better than before? Don't forget to tell Alejandro that it will take him a couple of decades to get the triple carb set-up that you now have....

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love it, the performance improvement is mostly coming from the euro pistons I installed just prior, along with the VGS/Webers and Schrick cam it makes a beeline for the redline like never before. I take peace of mind knowing that I am getting fresh, undisturbed air to the carbs, so much that I have been able to drop a size on idle jets from 60F17 2x120 air bleeds to 55F17 2x105 airbleeds with better AFR numbers. From previous experiments I have seen, under certain circumstances, the airflow (or lack of) in the engine compartment can affect the timing of the main jets front carbs vs. rear carbs. Mostly from the old 5 blade fan and choice of air filter. The only downside is the intake noise is muffled slightly, but I love how it looks so small price to pay :cool:

Steve--Now that you have some miles on your VGS intake system, is the car performing better than before? Don't forget to tell Alejandro that it will take him a couple of decades to get the triple carb set-up that you now have....

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have just finished designing and producing a triple side draft linkage system just for the M30s you might be interested in. I've already made a similar system for the 2002s based on the original BMW 2002ti side draft linkage system and we have been selling that for a few years. I will post photos of the M30 version soon but here are some pics of the M10 version and our latest batch of linkage parts.
Looking forward to your production version, I am collecting parts for a conversion at some point.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I decided to put triples on mine also, I really like the plenum Steve has
I had side drafts on my 2002 a long time ago and hated the foam filters so that was the one thing I wanted to avoid
I bought the replica Alpina plenum
Several people told me the stock brake booster would fit, in my case it didn't
You will need to do something with the thermostat mounting, the offset block that @Markos found is a great solution
Some people say use 40s, I went with 45s, I had 45's on the 2002 and a few people I knew had them on 3.0 and they worked well

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Alejandro - Weber DCOMs, Korman intake manifold and tstat housing, tii brake booster, and reproduction Alfa Romeo GTA air horns. This is not entirely up to date: I no longer have the return springs and/or the fixed fuel rail.

IMG_0860.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why did you decide to take off the artisan fuel rail?

Hi Alejandro - Weber DCOMs, Korman intake manifold and tstat housing, tii brake booster, and reproduction Alfa Romeo GTA air horns. This is not entirely up to date: I no longer have the return springs and/or the fixed fuel rail.