True Beauty

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought I share this picture my Daughter made of the CS.

True beauty doesn't need upgrades, it's simply its nature.:)
B&W.jpg

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought I share this picture my Daughter made of the CS.

True beauty doesn't need upgrades, it's simply it's nature.:)View attachment 55053
Philippe, so right. Beauty is the essence of our coupes, and the photo is all the evidence needed. Polaris with chrome vents? Mine is also. And I think the black plastic would not have looked right with the tint. Your thoughts?
Steve

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems like a stock coupe has become the exception. The more coupes get wheels and tires, suspension changes, air dams, the more a stock coupe looks classic. Very nice photo!

Philippe db

Reaction score
Philippe, so right. Beauty is the essence of our coupes, and the photo is all the evidence needed. Polaris with chrome vents? Mine is also. And I think the black plastic would not have looked right with the tint. Your thoughts?
Steve

Hi Steve,

I think the black plastic makes it a "later" car. The E9 was developed in the sixties and back then chrome was everything.

The later E9's got black plastic around the same time Porsche also switched from chrome to black trim. Dangerous sun reflections on the windshield wippers triggering this evolution. And evolution that incorporated the entire car market by the end of the seventies early eighties .

I like both of them if they are on the correct cars and as such agree with you, black trim part on a pre '73 car is out of place.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Philippe, right you are. It was Jill Claybrooke(?) who ran Carter's(?) National Highway Transportation Authority(NHTA)(?) who ruled chrome must go. Probably a sensible rule like many of others at the time. HOWEVER, there were lots of dumb ones. And let us not forget, NHTA was responsible, I believe, for running the Grey Market federalization program for our cars.

The rules were applied depending on the mood of the inspector. My Italian delivery coupe has(sadly) only the rear side markers. However, the PO would have been required to have it brought up to CA smog standards if he had moved it from NY to CA. A mortal sin in my book. So he sold it to me.

Please, anyone, correct any and all of my inaccuracies.

Steve

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the black replaced chrome for cost reasons, not Jill Claybrook, she had better things to mess with!