Trying to run down electrical gremlins

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
The PO of my car had installed quite the aftermarket stereo system so that and fifty years of fiddling has left quite a bit of mess in the underdash wiring department. I'm trying to get everything put back right and functioning correctly. I'm also trying to be methodical so I'll be asking questions, hopefully solving the issue, and then moving on to the next.

My first two questions regard how things should operate.

1) Should the brake lights function no matter what position the ignition switch is in? In other words should they always work regardless.

If I'm reading the wiring diagram right, it looks like the factory radio wire (violet, center console) should be hot when the ignition switch is in position 2.

2) Is this the correct interpretation?
2b) Should anything else be hot when ignition is in position 2?

Thanks in advance!

-Dan

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) key must be on for brake lights
2) radio is hot with key on
2b) windows hot, heater fan hot, headlights hot with key on
1) That's good news, because that's how it's working.
2) Just so I'm perfectly clear, is on = accessory position or all the way against the stop for engaging the starter?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
1) That's good news, because that's how it's working.
2) Just so I'm perfectly clear, is on = accessory position or all the way against the stop for engaging the starter?
In my 74: (I assume earlier models as well)
A: Ignition switch on Accessory: Radio hot
B: Ignition turned full before engaging starter (dash warning lights on) windows, brake lights, head lights (and just about everything else) is hot.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
B: Ignition turned full before engaging starter (dash warning lights on) windows, brake lights, head lights (and just about everything else) is hot.
Thanks, that's how I read the switch schematic in the wiring diagram, but I wasn't sure if I was understanding all the conventions correctly. What seems to be the radio wire (violet, center console) in my car is only hot when the ignition is in your B position above.

I don't think I particularly care whether the radio works in the accessory position, i just thought the way it's working might be indicative of that wire being hooked up to the wrong fuse block circuit.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my phase two, Dec 1973 build, the windows are live whenever the doors are open, no matter where the ignition switch is. This is the version with the isolators / trip switches for the electric windows.
With ignition on, they are also live when the doors are closed.
Believe this was a safety measure at the time.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my phase two, Dec 1973 build, the windows are live whenever the doors are open, no matter where the ignition switch is. This is the version with the isolators / trip switches for the electric windows.
With ignition on, they are also live when the doors are closed.
Believe this was a safety measure at the time.
The things you learn around here!