two gorgeous E9s spotted in Cheyenne barn!

Brian D

Reaction score
It worked for me. :confused: I love the early Electro-Motive diesels, thanks for the hours of distraction. (linked vids)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the story.

If you're a train buff then you might like to know that Union Pacific is bringing a Big Boy 4014 to this shop in Wyoming to restore to working condition.
A Big Boy is a 4-8-8-4 engine that is so long it is articulated so it will go around curves.
Currently the engine is sitting in a parking lot in CA waiting to be put on main line to tow to Wyoming.
There is a Big Boy in this video 3895 but it does not run. May be like a parts car.
Lots of Youtube videos.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can run the 21 minute video of the train shed, etc but could not find the coupes. Can anyone give us a specific time slot where they appear.

Brian D

Reaction score
Yes it was a bit of a play on words I suppose, the EMD E9 was the premier passenger train locomotive of the late '50's and 60's.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Locomotives i lived them. worked for the Southern Pacific. Boilermaker / Blacksmith
I hired on when the old timers that worked on steam were just starting to retire.
Here's a SP e9 in the Sacramento shop.

Do not stand to close to the track, click on the pic

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Locomotives i lived them. worked for the Southern Pacific. Boilermaker / Blacksmith
I hired on when the old timers that worked on steam were just starting to retire.
Here's a SP e9 in the Sacramento shop.

Do not stand to close to the track, click on the pic

Great stuff Barry thanks.
Yeah I wondered how many would catch the E9 play? I took me a minute to remember that the diesel engine was an E9.
I have some great shots of some steam excursion trains run in this area by Norfolk & Southern back in the 80's. They won't do it any more. I guess the liability is just too great.
Maybe I'll try to scan those slides and post them later. Hope nobody minds a little train diversion?
Like they say, planes, trains and automobiles.