Tyre size and manufacturer suggestions

Will V

Reaction score
Hi All, sorry bit of a novice here. Looking to replace all the tyres on my 3.0 CSi as they are very old and not the same make. I think the 195 is best for general smoothness and comfort on terrible english roads, but happy to be persuaded by the 205s? Second question - are classic car tyres worth it (Dunlop Sport Classic) or just cheaper generic ones? Thanks.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will - tires are the single most important safety part on the car. All your driving inputs go through your tires. Moreover, BMWs were not designed to be operated with cheap generic tires. Even if you don't drive your car a lot, you will be safer and get more enjoyment from a quality set of tires.

There is little difference between 205/70 r14s and 195/70 r14s. The 205s are 10mm larger around, and accordingly have a slightly larger sidewall. But there are more options in the 195s, which likely means better pricing as well. I have a set of Toyo Extensa tires on my car. In the 195 size, they are selling right in the US for $87 per tire. I know people who have also been happy with Kumho, which sell for $90 per tire right now. I didn't see a price on the Dunlop Sport Classic, but I believe it is a better tire than either of these I mentioned.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Will V

Reaction score
Will - tires are the single most important safety part on the car. All your driving inputs go through your tires. Moreover, BMWs were not designed to be operated with cheap generic tires. Even if you don't drive your car a lot, you will be safer and get more enjoyment from a quality set of tires.

There is little difference between 205/70 r14s and 195/70 r14s. The 205s are 10mm larger around, and accordingly have a slightly larger sidewall. But there are more options in the 195s, which likely means better pricing as well. I have a set of Toyo Extensa tires on my car. In the 195 size, they are selling right in the US for $87 per tire. I know people who have also been happy with Kumho, which sell for $90 per tire right now. I didn't see a price on the Dunlop Sport Classic, but I believe it is a better tire than either of these I mentioned.
Chris - thanks good advice. Unfortunately in the UK the tyre choices in both sizes are very limited versus USA for some reason and much more expensive. Thanks again. Will

day66

Reaction score
I spent plenty of time looking into this a while back. Strictly the cars should have "V" rated tyres, and that massively restricts options to a couple of unknown brands most likely made in China or remanufactured classic style tyres at around £250 each.

At the time I found a "middle road" a 205/65/14 V rated Kumho tyre, but these seem hard to find at the moment in the UK - it is an odd size but seems to fit the wheel well.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't by Kumho tires, they are inexpensive for a reason.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Andrew for pointing @Will V in the direction of the FAQ. there at least 3 good choices for vintage tires. my favorite, the Pirelli CN36 ... also the expensive Michelin XWX and the Vredestein Sprint Classic. Longstone Tyres (UK) lists the Vredestein in both 195/70 and 205/70. they also list the Pirelli and Michelin, but say the 195/70 are 'coming soon'. in the past, both the Michelin + Pirelli were only available in 205/70 ... which they have in stock.

these tires are NOT inexpensive, but they are probably better tires than what are currently being made by other manufacturers.

Christoph

Reaction score
It all depends on what you do with your car. For the occasional trip to the nearby café any tyre is sufficient. In Germany and other countries they have to be V rated or the car won't pass the (biennial) check. If you wish to use the car as intended better go for Michelin XWX, Pirelli CN36, Dunlop Sport Classic, Vredestein Sprint Classic, maybe Avon Turbospeed(?). Michelin, Pirelli and Avon are only avaliable in 205/70VR14, Dunlop and Vredestein also in 195/70VR14. Some people report varying quality depending on manufacturing lots, at least for Michelin and Vredestein.

Interestingly, 205 XWX are much higher than 195. A friend keeps an old set of 195 and put both sizes on two otherwise identical CSL. Ride height difference should have been 7 mm. To our surprise, it was 12-15 mm. Quite a few E3-Club friends run on 205/70x14, their cars all stand higher than mine on 195/70x14. Also rolling resistance is higher for 205 than for 195. On the other hand, the wider tyres provide a little more grip on hard cornering.

From what I remember from our visit to Bicester in 2019 British county roads tend to be pretty rough. The most durable tyres might be the best choice. Which should rule out the Avon, that is said to be totaled after 30000 km.

My E3 sits on Dunlop since spring 2019, they have covered 22000 km in four (half) years. For 2023 the salt season is not over in central Germany, so no records yet. As of today roadholding especially in the rain and on winding roads is exceptional. Downside: since 2019 prices for the Dunlop have been rising almost every six months. Growing reputation?

Advice on tyres is always difficult, everyone feels comfortable with different characteristics. Ask ten E3/E9 drivers and probably get 12-13 answers.

Will V

Reaction score
205s, manufactured january 2023 via Longstone tyres (UK). Tyre fitters here get anxious about dates- tyres need to be less than 5 years old otherwise they may not fit them.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
205s, manufactured january 2023 via Longstone tyres (UK). Tyre fitters here get anxious about dates- tyres need to be less than 5 years old otherwise they may not fit them.
Thanks for the update Will. I'm waiting for the 195s which Longstone indicated a month ago would be produced in April with availability in May or June.