U.S. VIN Build Dates

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can still access the VIN table in the prior Registry here:

http://e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

There were 3724 coupes built for the US/NA market. Of those, 393 were big bumper manuals built from Sep 1973 through Dec 1974. And there were 451 automatics built during this period as well.

There were 1713 pre-74 3.0CS coupes and 1167 2800CS coupes. I hope this helps.

Steve O, I only kept track of the coupes above, and the BMW Archive will no longer provide build dates to me. They must think I’m making phony Certificates!

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Chris,

I recently received info from Julia Oberdorfer that my '74 ( VIN 4310278 ) was produced on June 12th, 1974 and arrived in NYC for Hoffman Motors on June 27th. Any idea how many manual trans e9's came into the US after that?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Gary Knox
Hi Gary,

Just ran across this. My VIN is 4310287, so my 4 speed '74 was apparently 9 cars behind yours at the factory. I bought it in 1987 and restored it in 2001; I'm the third owner.

Alan

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan,

Thanks for the info. Hope you enjoy your coupe as much as I did mine. I sold it about 2 years ago to a guy in Tokyo Japan, so it is learning a new language!!

Merry Christmas,

Gary

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

I love it and am never selling it; it's still my favorite car to drive after all these years. My son can pick it up where I leave off.

Hope your car is enjoying its new adventure!

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Alan