UK E9s coming up for auction

Rek

Reaction score
The RHD one looks good for the estimated money it might make. All I noticed was a missing door strike panel cover and a strange treatment of the vinyl roof at the rear. I note the use of fog lights in the air dam brake vent holes which was something I was considering.

The restoration cost of £22k seems low but it might have been in good condition before this. Once again, it would be so useful to see photographic evidence of the restoration and almost essential for any cars provenance but these are seldom mentioned. That being said, I would not be surprised to find the same photo's being used to sell different cars but that's just cynical old me......;)

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve received the following info on the RHD one:

“Regarding history of the car, the vendor acquired it as a project with very little history, and then passed the car to Classic Legends for their expertise to bring the car to the standard it is now in.

The car has had extensive work, in the engine bay, mechanically and internally to make it in to a fully usable classic. The guys who carried out the work actually did a full restoration on a CSL for one of our former clients that whilst guided at £70,000 to £80,000 and went on to achieve over £135,000. In the words of the restorer, he will work with the budget as supplied by his clients, if they want a Concours vehicle he can do that, if they want a usable car with a slightly lower budget he can do that too.

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1973-bmw-3-0-csl

This car would be described as him as a well prepared usable car, it has had a nice restoration with for instance the woodwork taken out of the car, treated and re-stained etc. The engine work they do is to a high standard and they will have spent a lot of time on the mechanicals. It has been completely stripped for its respray, and so I am sure it will be worth you coming to inspect the car prior to the sale to make your own decision.”

They’ve also sent pics of restoration. I’ll post when I can.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
5FE0936A-42D8-443A-9842-3443B93E2051.jpeg 87D48B30-E10F-403D-84B1-FF8B1D2A9F81.jpeg D7C57A1A-2FD2-4389-8529-185565051D1A.jpeg F23BC881-2B50-457E-89B1-6422912026D0.jpeg F08E749B-4F63-4189-AA0D-B142D516D0AE.jpeg 5BEA388F-B33B-4DBC-BF8F-B40EC8F2C2F2.jpeg 6A1E1F38-46AE-4DEA-BEC4-44FA2E3E388F.jpeg 1DBD7BA6-BE8D-4D23-8BE2-DB0F17A1879A.jpeg 78B6D6AA-5088-4027-8504-7BD6563217D8.jpeg 269FFCAA-17AD-44A1-913D-E3402B743CD6.jpeg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So they sprayed primer on everything in the engine bay including rubber grommets, pedal linkage and brackets? Is that truck bedliner in the engine bay as well with the pebbly finish? Looks like they painted the cylinder head and various linkages too. Pretty poor work in my mind.

Rek

Reaction score
So they sprayed primer on everything in the engine bay including rubber grommets, pedal linkage and brackets? Is that truck bedliner in the engine bay as well with the pebbly finish? Looks like they painted the cylinder head and various linkages too. Pretty poor work in my mind.

Hence the £22k price tag. In any case, it would have been nice to see the pictures of the bits where our cars rot - inner front wings/bulkhead, floors, sills etc., These may all be perfectly preserved, but pictures of switches are really irrelevant. Is this really a restoration or a freshening up if they did not take the wings off?

It looks good but getting into the usual places and poking around is key here I think. Is there any scope to inspect it prior to the auction?

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
That's a more realistic price than the H & H one. £41,625 = buyers premium makes total cost £47,868. Thanks for letting us know.

...that's pretty good buying particularly as it is one of the limited #435 VIN series. ( one of 207 factory delivered RHD csi's ). . One in this VIN series was recently listed in HK for US $100k and now sold .

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Do we have any idea on how many of the 207 cars are still around? Given they are rarer than a RHD CSL you would only expect prices to continue to rise via demand driven from those that cant get into the CSL market.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Do we have any idea on how many of the 207 cars are still around? Given they are rarer than a RHD CSL you would only expect prices to continue to rise via demand driven from those that cant get into the CSL market.

BMW confirmed with me that 18 were delivered to OZ...the HK one referred to above was imported from OZ . I am aware of a couple that are still here but the bulk of the 207 cars presumably went to UK .

Someday

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG-20181030-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20181031-WA0013.jpg

This is how the car started before Classic legends carried out the restoration on it. It then went to auction as you guys said and then ended up with a dealer down by Kent way if I remember correctly.
Car has had its fair share of publicity;
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/magazine/bmw-e9-3-0-csi-because-theres-to-life-than-a-csl/

More importantly is Classic Legends & Dominik Kwiatkowski has stolen cars & parts from his customers and has been reported to the police. More details of this is posted on another form.
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/anyone-familiar-with-classic-legends-in-the-uk.39048/#post-335593

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 128524View attachment 128525
This is how the car started before Classic legends carried out the restoration on it. It then went to auction as you guys said and then ended up with a dealer down by Kent way if I remember correctly.
Car has had its fair share of publicity;
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/magazine/bmw-e9-3-0-csi-because-theres-to-life-than-a-csl/

More importantly is Classic Legends & Dominik Kwiatkowski has stolen cars & parts from his customers and has been reported to the police. More details of this is posted on another form.
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/anyone-familiar-with-classic-legends-in-the-uk.39048/#post-335593
Do you think the restored car might have some of your parts (sorry to hear about your experience btw)