UK: Haunted CSL Project @auction

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im calling this one haunted because the interior reminds be of a a typical Scooby Doo episode.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/bmw/30/1972/454732

That's some nasty stringy mold, or one of the barn cats was a British Longhair...

1972_bmw_csl_3.jpg

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the third CSL I have seen in past 6 mths with black vinyl roof top. I think they are a good period look on a CSL.
Must have been a factory option at the time.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and the sad, real CSL Petri wheel (with Phillips screws). That's 'seems' gone beyond the point of return. Alas!

Last edited:

boldy330

Reaction score
and the sad, real CSL Petri wheel (with Phillips screws). That's gone beyond the point of return. Alas!
a beauty in the waiting! just needs a good dust, a good mechanic and a good body man, a gem!! wish it was mine!!!!!

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Original in Fjord. Interesting that it might has been resprayed (Verona?) by BMW for the first owner. The RHD CSLs were pretty difficult to sell in 1972-1973. Perhaps another client request?

Cheers
Henric

shanon

Reaction score
Neat.

Believe the vinyl roof was a period Brit dealer option to stay en-vogue with other high end mfgs (Jaguar & MB). I have only seen the vinyl top on Rhd Brit E9s.

Many have removed vinyl top (it captured moisture/rotted/rusted) during resto and not replaced.

Its a neat unique period look, a lux two-tone if you will. The vinyl roof does have a 'juicy' deluxe look when the car all shined up.

Weren't they called 'Landau tops' here in the states? Many US cars had vinyl tops at the time.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The way it is photographed, it almost looks like a 1/18-scaled diorama, not a real car...

That is all post processing. It looks like the photos were shot in HDR and they added a "tilt shift" filter to give it that look. HDR makes all the colors look surreal, and tilt shift makes things look like a toy. I don't think they used an actual tilt shift lense. When done properly, things do actually look like models.

For example:
mini_motor_cars_tilt_shift_by_homer_fett-d37kbra.jpg

I'm not a photographer, but everyone in my family is. My good friend played around with tilt shift photos for a year or so before he got bored with it...

With only photoshop (which I do have and use for basic stuff):

http://mashable.com/2013/09/24/photoshop-tilt-shift/#kFAU7icJ5aqb

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Neat.

Believe the vinyl roof was a period Brit dealer option to stay en-vogue with other high end mfgs (Jaguar & MB). I have only seen the vinyl top on Rhd Brit E9s.

Many have removed vinyl top (it captured moisture/rotted/rusted) during resto and not replaced.

Its a neat unique period look, a lux two-tone if you will. The vinyl roof does have a 'juicy' deluxe look when the car all shined up.

Weren't they called 'Landau tops' here in the states? Many US cars had vinyl tops at the time.
I think the Landau roof was when the vinyl started half way back on the roof so just covering the rear seats.