Under dashboard fun!

Bwana

Reaction score
I'm still working on getting my New To You '72 ready to pass State inspection. The last item was to get the horn working. The "carbon pin" was broken so I got a new one from BMW for $7.00, probably the least amount of money I've ever spent in a dealership :-D

Mounted it up and now it contacts the steering housing, grounding out the horn so it is always on. I enlarged the mounting holes so I could move it to the left but I get stuck on the ground wire in the back of the fitting.

P1270002.jpg

I measured the housing relative to the steering column and found it is offset to the right by almost 6 mm. Is this right? The ruler in the picture was at first on the left side where I adjusted the cross bar to match the housing edge.

P1270003.jpg

I also took the lower dashboard section off and found that the upper section of the steering cover is one long piece so not a lot of adjustment here.

What to do?

Other stuff I've found:

Which relay is this?

P1270006.jpg

P1270005.jpg

The PO obviously cut this off for some reason. The black ground (?) wire goes back behind the fuse holder. Any idea what it used to be? The black plastic thing looks like a tap for power but is not used.

P1270007.jpg

Also found this. On the right side of the steering column. Any ideas what this used to be connected to?

P1270008.jpg

But the big question here is what the heck is this? The "button" on the front does not pull, push, or turn but it sure is hooked on to something big. Dash shot. I have a electrically heated rear window but have not yet found the switch for it. Possibly this?

P1270009.jpg

Under dash shot

P1270010.jpg

I have the FSM so, if given a clue, I can probably find this stuff.

Any help would be much appreciated

Tyler

Reaction score
The three wire cluster with the female spade connectors appears to be for your missing rear window demister switch. They would normally be connected to an orange button. The black button between the steering column and center consol is in the location where one often finds the red emergency flasher switch.

Tundra

Reaction score
The rectangular black box you are holding in two pictures is the turn signals relay.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The steering column cover definitely is supposed to be level from side to side. Perhaps there is a wire interfering with the cover preventing it from sitting squarely on the column? or the cover is caught on a tab not allowing it to seat properly? Work with the top or bottom independently to see where it might be hanging up.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Wiring questions

It's a while since I did my auto to manual conversion, however the round connector in the photo with a few of the wires cut looks like the reversing light connector, and the changed wires suggest you have an auto to manual conversion.

The black wire is probably the one that used to go from the ignition to the starter via the relay which inhibited/permitted starting for the auto, and is now connected directly to the wire to the starter.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The black box relay with the clip attached is the emergency 4- way flasher, at least it is in my 74...

Bwana

Reaction score
Outstanding answers guys, thanks a lot! :-D Indeed, I found the flasher and window heater on the wiring diagram. Still looking for the cutout switch but I'm close.

Something interesting though, the plug I have installed instead of the emergency flasher has a button in the end of it. When the plug is removed, the turn signals don't work. With the plug installed, they are fine. And, I'm bad, I forgot to check to see if they worked when I took the cap out. :(. There is a small bulb insid the plug upder the cap. I've got a flasher and heater switches on order so we'll see when they come in.

P1280002.jpg

P1280003.jpg

No doubt the window heater switch must be mounted in here with cutouts for other options (fog lights etc)?

P1280004.jpg

The strangist thing though is that it appears that the plate that holds the turn signal, flasher, and upper steering bearing is bent. Go back to the top post and look at the first picture. See the threads of the screw on the left side? Should not be able to see them as the plate should be up tight against the housing. Also, only three out of four screws were installed.

Then this shot

P1280007.jpg

I think you can see how the plate is higher in the left rear.

Anyway, I'm going to take the plate off and see if I can straighten it out.

So, how do you remove the turn signal collar? I see in the FSM that the spring is retained by a circlip but how do you get the collar off?

Thanks!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is normal for the turn signals to fail if the plug is out, as they get the 12V through the flasher switch or plug. You can see that in the signaling diagrams. Once you put the real flasher switch they will work again. Just be aware that there are two flasher switch variants (6 connections vs. something else) so you can order the one that fits.

As for the bent plate that explanation makes sense, not sure how hard that metal is.

Bwana

Reaction score
Next step

Great! So when I get the flasher plug I'll probably be good to go.

So how do I get the collar off? I've tried (carefully) with channel locks and screwdrivers but it won't budge. Do I have to snap it off the snap ring that retains the bearing? Kinda looks like that in the FSM