Underbody protection

E3AV

Reaction score
I have just finished stripping the underside of my 2800 to bare metal, removed all the rust and welded in pieces where it was nessesary. I’ve also sprayed on epoxy primer under the whole car including the wheel wells.
The car was previously coated with a wery thick layer of a bitumen type under protection. Some places it was over 5mm thick. Looked kind of ok before I started.
But in the removal process I found many hidden treasures, such as rust as expected and poorly made patches.
Used a combination of an air chissel and the exellent Monti bristle-blaster/die-blaster to do the work.
Ok.. So to a couple of questions:
I had a hard time noticing the areas that had seam sealer applied. Could someone please help me here? The most important areas?
Are E3’s body colored underside?
Anyone used Raptor bedliner or equal as undercoating?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Original coating was rubberized and tan to whitish in color. I did what you did, Epoxy primer and then I used truck bed liner, not Raptor but equivalent. My automotive paint supply guys have pushed me away from rubberized coatings as they never really dry, are tacky and stuff sticks to it.

I use seam sealer liberally. For example, I do not like how the rocker cover on my E9 or E24 fits against the rocker on the bottom. There is a slight gap between the lip of the cover and the car, 1-2mm. I seal this up to prevent stuff filling in there and holding water and causing rust. I first found this sequence on my E24. Of course I keep the drain holes in the cover though. I do wonder if a future owner may think I am covering up something rather than just trying to protect a 50 yo car.

I have a small spray bottle with paint thinner. I spray the seam sealer and my finger, this allows you to get a smooth texture to the sealer and push it into spots without it sticking to everything.

E3AV

Reaction score
Not underbody but.. How is this area on the c-pillar (slots for the vents) sealed? Anyone got a picture?
8DC3B559-C1C0-44BF-A7C2-2B3DA463E3CC.jpeg