unknown wire

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I pulled out my wiring diagrams; it appears to me that the wiring at those two bases is correct.

As to Krzysztof's comments on the relays, this may be worth looking into. I don't recall exactly when the terminals were standardized, but sometimes similar sized older relays with different terminals are found. The vast majority of the relays in use today are Type B relays, with the 87 and 30 terminals across from one another. There was a time before everything was standardized, however, when there were "Type A" terminals, with terminals 87 and 30 next to one another. Weird things will happen in you use a type A terminal in a type B base, or vice versa. And yes, they plug right in.

The bases in your picture are wired for Type B terminals. You should check the operation of your relays to ensure that they are Type B relays. Simplest way to do this is to check for continuity across the terminals. With a type A relay neither of the possible combinations of terminals across from one another will have continuity. With type B, you will have continuity across one set of terminals, but not the other.

One other thing from the wiring diagram. The driver's side door switch has a pair of terminals. One of those terminals is other end of the brown wire in the relay base you have in your hand in the picture. The other should have a connector with two brown wires attached to it, which would like exactly like the one shown in your first picture. That one connectes to the dome light (with the other wire running to the right side door switch). If your dome light is not functioning properly, it may be because that double brown wire in your first picture needs to be connected to the drivers' side door switch.

reedreed

Reaction score
Check wire colors here which I have listed for your mid-73 and on 3.0CS.

Thanks a lot!!!

reedreed

Reaction score
I pulled out my wiring diagrams; it appears to me that the wiring at those two bases is correct.

As to Krzysztof's comments on the relays, this may be worth looking into. I don't recall exactly when the terminals were standardized, but sometimes similar sized older relays with different terminals are found. The vast majority of the relays in use today are Type B relays, with the 87 and 30 terminals across from one another. There was a time before everything was standardized, however, when there were "Type A" terminals, with terminals 87 and 30 next to one another. Weird things will happen in you use a type A terminal in a type B base, or vice versa. And yes, they plug right in.

The bases in your picture are wired for Type B terminals. You should check the operation of your relays to ensure that they are Type B relays. Simplest way to do this is to check for continuity across the terminals. With a type A relay neither of the possible combinations of terminals across from one another will have continuity. With type B, you will have continuity across one set of terminals, but not the other.

One other thing from the wiring diagram. The driver's side door switch has a pair of terminals. One of those terminals is other end of the brown wire in the relay base you have in your hand in the picture. The other should have a connector with two brown wires attached to it, which would like exactly like the one shown in your first picture. That one connectes to the dome light (with the other wire running to the right side door switch). If your dome light is not functioning properly, it may be because that double brown wire in your first picture needs to be connected to the drivers' side door switch.
Thank you for your professional comment. I have checked and you're right. I have Type A relays installed. So what's next? Should I switch back to HELLA cans (i don't know the part number) or can I use any of Type B, or may be I can turn 30 and 86 terminals on the base side to convert Type A into Type B?

reedreed

Reaction score
Success! Finally the windows work as they should. It was the small green wire connected to the load shedding rely. The other end of this wire was connected to the wrong terminal on the breakers post.