uprated clutch

sprintevo

Reaction score
Any recommendations for an up-rated clutch for a 3.5 race conversion. I have just missed out on an 6 paddle clutch on EBAY, however it may have been a blessing in disguise as I would normally check to see what has been use din the past, gearbox is Getrag 265 close ratio engine will be running mid 300's hp , any thoughts or recommendations gratefully received

sprintevo

Reaction score
Any recommendations for an up-rated clutch for a 3.5 race conversion. I have just missed out on an 6 paddle clutch on EBAY, however it may have been a blessing in disguise as I would normally check to see what has been use din the past, gearbox is Getrag 265 close ratio engine will be running mid 300's hp , any thoughts or recommendations gratefully received

sprintevo

Reaction score
E46 M3 headers, adapted to fit to the head, 2.5" side exit freeflow exhaust, longer duration cam, throttle bodies, Motec ignition and fuel mapping, flowed polished and ported head 3 angle cut valve seats to get the flow and breathing right. cometec head gasket, head studs and ARP fasteners for better sealing, balanced bottom end with knife edged crank and tear shaped oilway exits and uprated oil pump and oil cooler, valvegear rockers shot-peened for strength by British Aerospace and other small improvements like lightened flywheel to enagle it rev more freely to a higher rpm. this is what is planned and in the pipeline hence getting good advice on the the weak point which is the clutch.

sprintevo

Reaction score
E46 M3 headers, adapted to fit to the head, 2.5" side exit freeflow exhaust, longer duration cam, throttle bodies, Motec ignition and fuel mapping, flowed polished and ported head 3 angle cut valve seats to get the flow and breathing right. cometec head gasket, head studs and ARP fasteners for better sealing, balanced bottom end with knife edged crank and tear shaped oilway exits and uprated oil pump and oil cooler, valvegear rockers shot-peened for strength by British Aerospace and other small improvements like lightened flywheel to enagle it rev more freely to a higher rpm. this is what is planned and in the pipeline hence getting good advice on the the weak point which is the clutch.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If this is a M30, how do you figure that is "mid 300s"? That isn't even mid 250s, based on the other builds I've seen.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If this is a M30, how do you figure that is "mid 300s"? That isn't even mid 250s, based on the other builds I've seen.

gazzol

Reaction score
x_atlas0 said:

He hasn't given any specs like compression ratio cam duration or valve sizes so how can you say that? I admit 350 seems a little high for a road car but it isn't impossble depending on the spec.

gazzol

Reaction score
x_atlas0 said:

He hasn't given any specs like compression ratio cam duration or valve sizes so how can you say that? I admit 350 seems a little high for a road car but it isn't impossble depending on the spec.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
gazzol said:
x_atlas0 said:

Even Paul Cain's, with an optimal cam, increased valve diameters, a 10.5:1 CR, full headers, and increased displacement barely did above 250 rwhp. The only high-power M30s I've seen have been turbos. The S38/M88, however, yeah, those have been pushed above 300 rwhp NA.

It isn't a matter of upgrades, it is a matter of the base head design. The M30 head just isn't that good compared to most modern engines. At the time, is was quite impressive, but not so much now. Even if you rev the crud out of a M30, it just doesn't respond. That's why the racing CSLs all had a 4-valve head, and they were able to lay out 400s.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
gazzol said:
x_atlas0 said:

Even Paul Cain's, with an optimal cam, increased valve diameters, a 10.5:1 CR, full headers, and increased displacement barely did above 250 rwhp. The only high-power M30s I've seen have been turbos. The S38/M88, however, yeah, those have been pushed above 300 rwhp NA.

It isn't a matter of upgrades, it is a matter of the base head design. The M30 head just isn't that good compared to most modern engines. At the time, is was quite impressive, but not so much now. Even if you rev the crud out of a M30, it just doesn't respond. That's why the racing CSLs all had a 4-valve head, and they were able to lay out 400s.