US big bumper conversion pics?

FjordTempo

Reaction score
With our '76 3.0Si running and having passed smog after its decade long hibernation, it's time to put smaller bumpers on. I have both sets of bumpers and the metal brackets, but am not sure how to attach the brackets to the frame rail in the front. We've got the old shocks off and got stumped.

If anyone has photos or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Matt

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Frame rail should have two triangular cuts in which a carriage bolt head fits in, then slldes forward so head cannot be dislodged. The bumper rails slide in then raise bumper up so the rails are angled down, then lower the bumper so the rails straighten and as they do, you can tweak them so the carriage bolts can feed through the rail holes.

Wish I had pictures, it is only mildly intuitive. You will need one to raise and lower the bumper and another person underneath to line up the rails. Would be clearer if the actual process was clearer.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Matt, below are some pics of how I had the Euro bumpers mounted on the car (by Ron Perry). It retains the original mounting shocks, cut for length, as well as the sock covers, also trimmed for length. It's a bit klugie but it's likely the most expeditious and budget-friendly way to do this. I later had the body shop modify the sheetmetal to mount them the correct way.
IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

FjordTempo

Reaction score
bumper conversion

Luis

Wow. Thank you very much. Your great documentation helps us all so much!

I was just about to list all of my US bumper stuff for sale, but it looks like I'll be keeping the shocks!

thanks again.

Matt

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Luis

Wow. Thank you very much. Your great documentation helps us all so much!

I was just about to list all of my US bumper stuff for sale, but it looks like I'll be keeping the shocks!

thanks again.

Matt
No, that ain't doing it right. We'll mount the front like it's supposed to be. Plans Sunday?

Last edited: