USA vs. European version

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a wiring diagram from Prospero's Garage that does not match the wiring harness to the light switch of my car. It also does not show the presence of the combo turn signal/intermittment wiper-washer switch on the right side of the steering column. (Instead has the dimmer and turn signal in combination that would appear to be on left side of column).

The car is a left hand drive, but it has a speedometer that has metric unitis. I got it several years ago in California, and have repaired collision damage. Do not know history before that.

How can one determine if the car was built for deliver in Europe, i.e. is the European version? Does the speedometer tell the story?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a wiring diagram from Prospero's Garage that does not match the wiring harness to the light switch of my car. It also does not show the presence of the combo turn signal/intermittment wiper-washer switch on the right side of the steering column. (Instead has the dimmer and turn signal in combination that would appear to be on left side of column).

The car is a left hand drive, but it has a speedometer that has metric unitis. I got it several years ago in California, and have repaired collision damage. Do not know history before that.

How can one determine if the car was built for deliver in Europe, i.e. is the European version? Does the speedometer tell the story?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
What is your car's VIN? It is a 7 digit number.
If the first 3 digits are 224 or 225 (for a 73 3.0CS), it is a US model.
Rest of the world, it will be 221 or 223 for carb cars, 227 or 228 for CSi s.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
What is your car's VIN? It is a 7 digit number.
If the first 3 digits are 224 or 225 (for a 73 3.0CS), it is a US model.
Rest of the world, it will be 221 or 223 for carb cars, 227 or 228 for CSi s.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2240757. Sounds like US to me. How would it be that it would have come with a metric speedometer?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2240757. Sounds like US to me. How would it be that it would have come with a metric speedometer?

jmackro

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:

Since this is an almost 40-year old car, it is possible that during its life the original speedometer failed, and someone replaced it with a European unit.

What about the tachometer - is that in metric units? (that was a joke)

In general, US delivery cars came with A/C while European cars did not. This test probably isn't 100%, but does your car have A/C?

jmackro

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:

Since this is an almost 40-year old car, it is possible that during its life the original speedometer failed, and someone replaced it with a European unit.

What about the tachometer - is that in metric units? (that was a joke)

In general, US delivery cars came with A/C while European cars did not. This test probably isn't 100%, but does your car have A/C?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car does NOT have AC.

I looked at the under the hood VIN plate this morning. Thankfully it matches the title, BUT it is screwed on with phillps head screws. The tag on the steering column cover matches the VIN number. It is attached with rivets, sort of like pop rivets. Should the motor number match the VIN number?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car does NOT have AC.

I looked at the under the hood VIN plate this morning. Thankfully it matches the title, BUT it is screwed on with phillps head screws. The tag on the steering column cover matches the VIN number. It is attached with rivets, sort of like pop rivets. Should the motor number match the VIN number?

gpetrus

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:

This is speculation on my part, but it may have been imported to the U.S. and then sent to a Canadian dealer as a dealer swap. The spedometer would then have to be changed to metric for sale in Canada.

I know Ferrari does this with their cars now. The Canadian bound cars enter Newark with mph odometers and then are changed in the U.S. and sent north. It may have to do with the limited numbers and seperate port fees.

gpetrus

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:

This is speculation on my part, but it may have been imported to the U.S. and then sent to a Canadian dealer as a dealer swap. The spedometer would then have to be changed to metric for sale in Canada.

I know Ferrari does this with their cars now. The Canadian bound cars enter Newark with mph odometers and then are changed in the U.S. and sent north. It may have to do with the limited numbers and seperate port fees.

Malc

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:
My car does NOT have AC.

Have you found the number stamped into the bulkhead(firewall)?
It is on the panel just to the left of the heater when viewed from the front. This panel is the one separates the engine bay from the heater. This number should be the same as the VIN number, or at least have the same 7 digits in it.
Originally the VIN number and the engine number would be the same, but do not be surprised if they don't match as engines can be swapped out rather than repaired etc

Malc

Malc

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:
My car does NOT have AC.

Have you found the number stamped into the bulkhead(firewall)?
It is on the panel just to the left of the heater when viewed from the front. This panel is the one separates the engine bay from the heater. This number should be the same as the VIN number, or at least have the same 7 digits in it.
Originally the VIN number and the engine number would be the same, but do not be surprised if they don't match as engines can be swapped out rather than repaired etc

Malc

oldcoupe

Reaction score
As I read the wiring diagrams in the BMW blue binders:

Pre 73 had dimmer on the left, turn indicator/wiper on-off/screenwash on the right. Wiper speed was a pull switch on the gearshift console. My 72 manufacture year coupe had this setup.

73 onwards has dimmer/indicator on the left, wiper on-off/speed/washer on the right, just like the E3 (Bav) and later BMWs. The respective switches have the same part numbers as the E3.

I just converted to the later type as my indicator had given trouble. It took more time working out the correct connections than actually doing the wiring.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
As I read the wiring diagrams in the BMW blue binders:

Pre 73 had dimmer on the left, turn indicator/wiper on-off/screenwash on the right. Wiper speed was a pull switch on the gearshift console. My 72 manufacture year coupe had this setup.

73 onwards has dimmer/indicator on the left, wiper on-off/speed/washer on the right, just like the E3 (Bav) and later BMWs. The respective switches have the same part numbers as the E3.

I just converted to the later type as my indicator had given trouble. It took more time working out the correct connections than actually doing the wiring.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US wiring

Prospero's sells an early and late version wiring diagram I believe. However, only the Blue books will show the US specific wiring that for `73 includes the under dash window circuit breakers and the additional relays for the power windows that interupt their use when the ignition is turned off but the door has not yet been opened. Why BMW made it so complicated amazes me to this day.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US wiring

Prospero's sells an early and late version wiring diagram I believe. However, only the Blue books will show the US specific wiring that for `73 includes the under dash window circuit breakers and the additional relays for the power windows that interupt their use when the ignition is turned off but the door has not yet been opened. Why BMW made it so complicated amazes me to this day.