user map

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i looked at the user map in the Atlanta area and it lists 37 people. maybe half of which i have met / talked to ... some others never even heard of. i know we aren't looking for more work to do on the forum but here's the question ... is there anyway for the map to list names by color ... to define new, active + inactive people?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There are some issues with the map and with support from the originator. I'll look into it. Might need to move to a different one.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting, i looked at all of the people in the ATL area, and i didn't find a couple of people who should be on the map - Milwakeesk or RogerB. their profile shows them in the area.
of the 39 people, 10 - 12 are definitely old or no posts ... and a few have sold their coupes

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The current map is no longer supported and does not update new members. Looks like the back story is that it's developer is in Germany and when Europe started the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) he decided to get out and not support it any longer. The other maps I've seen use geo-locating for members map locations, which I don't think most members would like. It's nice to be able to put in a general location instead of using your IP address. Unless I can find a reasonable solution we may have to kill the user map.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The current map is no longer supported and does not update new members. Looks like the back story is that it's developer is in Germany and when Europe started the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) he decided to get out and not support it any longer. The other maps I've seen use geo-locating for members map locations, which I don't think most members would like. It's nice to be able to put in a general location instead of using your IP address. Unless I can find a reasonable solution we may have to kill the user map.

Warning: IT Stuff ahead...

You can use Google’s geocoding API to get lat/long of a given city/state/country. I do this now for a client, except down to the address level. I throttle it at 2,500 records per day, which keeps you in Google’s free tier. It is all written in Python so it’s very transferable to our application.

Each night you look for city/state/country records where lat/long hasn’t been captured. In the SQL world this is called an “unmatched query”. You then iterate through those records and fire the google API call for each, writing the JSON results to a table (preferably cleaned up). Lastly, you join your user list to the lat/long list based on the user’s city/state/country.

After that you can pretty much plug that dataset into any available/free mapping application. That is all web stuff which not a core competency of mine...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I submitted my deck plans to the city using 8.5x11” printer paper, using my son’s #2 pencil and ruler. :D
i had a meeting with my contractor and a few subs for my house renovation ... the contractor asked the subs, how many times do you get drawings on a house renovation ... answer was never. drawings generally get you closer to what you want, just guaranteed to be more expensive

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Warning: IT Stuff ahead...

You can use Google’s geocoding API to get lat/long of a given city/state/country. I do this now for a client, except down to the address level. I throttle it at 2,500 records per day, which keeps you in Google’s free tier. It is all written in Python so it’s very transferable to our application.

Each night you look for city/state/country records where lat/long hasn’t been captured. In the SQL world this is called an “unmatched query”. You then iterate through those records and fire the google API call for each, writing the JSON results to a table (preferably cleaned up). Lastly, you join your user list to the lat/long list based on the user’s city/state/country.

After that you can pretty much plug that dataset into any available/free mapping application. That is all web stuff which not a core competency of mine...
So when can we expect the new map?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So when can we expect the new map?

I know that you are telling me to put up or shut up, but I'll give it a shot. You know I am web-challended though. :D Just not this week! I just did do some quick testing and if you go with Google Maps we don't need Lat/Long to plot the push pins. So that takes the whole Python piece out of the equation. I'll do a bit more research on the data-driven stuff.

Before I do anything though I suppose I should finish loading the paint colors for all of the registered e9's :oops:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the user map is great, so I'd appreciate any attempt on making it functional again.

tenor.gif