V12 M70 engine in an E9?

GGR

Reaction score
I guess someone on the planet may have done it or at least thought about it. I'm also sure this must have already been discussed on this board but I did a search with "V12" and "M70" and I got no results. I also googled "V12 E9" but got no results. Could anybody direct me on such a discussion if there is any?

Thanks!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Years ago someone on the old CS Registry wrote about planning to do that.
What I remember is that it would fit in the engine bay but a lot of suspension work needed to be done to compensate for the increased weight. Also brakes would need enhancement.

Good luck!

GGR

Reaction score
Thanks!

This idea came to me when I saw an M70 lying on the floor without its intake manifolds in a junkyard. It's a very compact engine thanks to its 60deg. V and SOHC (as compared to the MB M120 DOHC for ex.). It's also a beautiful engine, pure lines, all aluminum.

So I started reading about it on the net and on one of the pages featuring all BMW engine pictures and characteristics I saw that the M30 weight is 143kg and the M70 is 155kg. Not much of a difference, and shifting the battery in the trunck or fitting a flat dry cell battery under a rear seat would re-establish the car's balance.

I also read that it's basically two M20s stuck together through an alloy block, and there were no real reliability problems.

The issue is indeed the electronics which are quite complicated. My idea would be to convert to manual throttle bodies and manage the whole thing with Megasquirt. I did it on an MB V8 engine and MS can handle V12 management also.

Brakes and suspension may not have to be upgraded more than what is already done with other power increases with L6 engines, as weight and its distribution may remain similar and power would be in the 300-350hp range.

I realise similar or even more power can be had with tweaked L6s, but it's for the fun of having a V12 and for it's sound. Also, these engines can be had relatively cheaply, at least for cheaper than tweaking an L6 to get the same kind of power and torque.

For now it's just an idea. I'm reaching the end of my euro MB 5.0L manual trans swap into my '62 MB W111 Coupe, so it's time to think about a new project.

What do you all guys think?

Tierfreund

Reaction score
There´s plenty of E30 with the V12 around (well plenty meaning a couple). Often call themselves 350i
Google for such a conversion as putting the M70 in an E30 should lead to some solutions on issues you´d be facing in the E9 as well (such as elctronics. mounts, gearbox etc.)

While you´re at it: start out with the V12 from the 850Csi. More hp and a 6-speed!

graham

Reaction score
I guess someone on the planet may have done it or at least thought about it. I'm also sure this must have already been discussed on this board but I did a search with "V12" and "M70" and I got no results. I also googled "V12 E9" but got no results. Could anybody direct me on such a discussion if there is any?

Thanks!

graham

Reaction score
This is what it looks like

Attachments

• 620284AD-3B75-45EA-B593-6463F88F03B6.jpeg
    620284AD-3B75-45EA-B593-6463F88F03B6.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 108
  • C2582ED9-C8B5-4015-B74F-9376FDC9192F.jpeg
    C2582ED9-C8B5-4015-B74F-9376FDC9192F.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 121

Breiti

Reaction score
But, for what?
to wast money? every M30 well tuned has more power than that solid monster...
And 50 kg less on the front.

Breiti

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If one were to do the work (read time and money) , would not the effort be better spent using a late model V8 from the e90 M3, or the exotic V10 from an M5?

Just an idea (or two).

RP

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you slice that engine in half and put just 6 cylinders?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you slice that engine in half and put just 6 cylinders?
M20 can be easily bought... no need to bother.

The task would be to cut it in a half perpendicularly - to have V6 or V8 or maye V10! No one has such so far. :D

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_0207.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg
IMG_0210.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0212.jpeg

I know of two BMW 12 Cylinder engines transplanted into other BMWs. One into a 1986 535is by Paul Muskopf, the other in 1993 525i Station Wagon/Touring by Jeff Hollen. Bothe were at The Vintage in Asheville/Hot Springs in 2019.