Value of a full 45DCOE system in 1993

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I bought my '74 CS in 2015, I received a folder of records from the last 3 of 4 previous owners that was about 2" thick, and the papers were filed randomly. This weekend, I finally took the time to chronologically organize the documents and summarize some of the car's history. One document I thought would be of interest related to the performance upgrade Metric Mechanic did for the 3rd owner in 1993. The 3.3 block with triple Webers in the car was replaced by a new 3.5 block bored and stroked (92 X 92) to over 3.8 liters, and a modified 530 Motronic FI system was installed. Jim Rowe of MM took the complete triple Weber system as 'trade'. He credited the owner with $750 toward the cost of the new engine and a rebuilt 265/6 transmission. The cost for those two combined upgrades was ~$16K. The money that owner spent on one OE restoration and one restomod was staggering. Service and registration documents indicate he drove the car slightly less than 10K miles in 24 years of ownership.

Oh to buy a fully operational triple Weber system today for $750!

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
10k fun miles I guess... So you are still driving the 3.8 liter engine?

On a similar vein, we were dinning at a nice resturant yesterday and the dessert menu had a 10 year Port Wine for $12, and same brand 30 year Port Wine for $18.
What a terrible investment to hold that Port for those additional 20 years... What a great investment to buy the 10 year Port and draw a 30 over the 10 with a permanent marker...

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde,

Yes, it is a great engine. Lots of torque, so the 3.07 diff with the OD trans works great both for starting off and for cruising at 70. The engine is very tight, there is absolutely no smoke when revving to 5K region, then letting off the accelerator in 2nd/3rd gear, then full throttle again after engine rpm drop to ~2.5K. Overall, it is a significantly better performing car than my '73 e9 manual was in the late '70's.

And, interestingly, a majority of those 'fun miles' were driven before the big FI engine was installed. There is one service which states "car has not been driven for about 5 years, so check everything"

Gary

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
$750 seems a little light. Just checked my receipt from 1980 for a 40 DCOE triple Weber kit and it was $1350.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

I don't remember checking the tach at 77-78, but that sounds about right. If I recall correctly (didn't really memorize the data!), the rpm is about 2100 at 60 mph in 5th with the 3.07 and 225/50 X 16 tires.

One of the other things I like about the 3.07 is that the speedometer is dead accurate (vs GPS) with that trans and rear tires.

Gary

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was this the work done on the car at Motion Products? MP is one of the top three Ferrari Restorers in the US. Pebble Beach umpteen times, etc. You probably were aware of that. I tried to buy your car around the time you bought it and the motion products history piqued my interest Unfortunately, your car was snowed in in RI at the time so I could never get there to see it. Great car you have!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, it was restored twice at MP. When the 3rd owner Mr. C. first bought it in 1984, it was pretty much a 'project car'.

It started life in the US as a lease car in CT for the first 'driver', then sold to 2nd owner in '77. He used it as a 'driver', then rally car (He put in a 3.3 block with the triple Webers) over his 7 years of ownership - he (Bob H.) started driving IMSA race cars in 1985).

3rd owner sent it directly to MP (they had restored 2 Ferrari's for him previously, one got best of class at Pebble B). It was a full stock restoration, and he paid them $22K in 1985. Occasionally drove it over 7 years, then sent it back to them for a restomod to look exactly like a 1972 European e9 (except for the custom interior). He spent over $28K for that in 1993. Then to Metric M. for the new 3.5 block bored and stroked to 92 X 92 cams, FI, other stuff plus a rebuilt 265/6. A check for $15.5 (plus the Weber system) covered that. In the over ~20 years of ownership he added right at 10K miles to the odometer. Finally sold it in 2007 to the guy you contacted in RI for $13.5K.

Mr. S. the 4th owner told me several people had expressed interest, but never came to look at it, as New England had a snow storm every Thursday or Friday in the winter/spring of 2015. I feel very fortunate to have acquired it. Talked to folks at MP and MM (Jim Rowe at MM) about the car after purchase. They remembered it and the owner very well (open checkbook customer!).

All the dates, costs, and mileage data are from the receipts, registrations, etc. that came with the car.

Gary

Last edited: