Valve Cover Art

pamp

Reaction score
You start with something that looks like this...
100_1383.jpg

And work hard for something like this...
100_1380.jpg

Let's see your own take...

84E24

Reaction score
Valve cover

Painted Baikal, polished ribs, clear coated, chrome oil cap and inlaid side Roundel.

Attachments

• Valve cover 014.jpg
    Valve cover 014.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 323
  • Valve cover 003.jpg
    Valve cover 003.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 318

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow!!!

What a piece of art!
No problems with engine heat causing the roundel adhesive to unstick?
Baikal looks great, I am not sure I could pull it off to match my Chamonix coupe
I went with matte black as like the first example

84E24

Reaction score
Valve cover

There is no adhesive holding the Roundel on. The Roundel is flat, the valve cover has a radius....

So, I cut a hole in the valve cover the same size, made a flat plug that sets at the high point of the radius, press fit it in. Then drilled and tapped with rubber groments just the same way it is attached on the side of the car.

I have had no issues with the paint and heat. I did my e24 valve cove 8 years ago with no issues. I painted, polished and mounted a hood Roundel with JB Weld. Its still there !

Steve

Attachments

• Painted valve cover 1.jpg
    Painted valve cover 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 332

JohnHein

Reaction score
Currently living in Houston North suburbs
Very nice folks. I am thinking about media blasting and powder coating my air cleaner and some of the other black parts of the engine. I also was considering the valve cover. Does the powder coating stand up to the heat? Do you do the entire cover and then grind off and polish the bits to be exposed or somehow mask it off?

Thanks

pamp

Reaction score
Powder Coat

Wow...I was hoping to see some examples but, Mr. 84E24...that is over the top! Way cool!
On my project at the moment, engine compartment detail, I have had my intake components media blasted. Powder coat for the valve cover, heater blower motor cover, air cleaner housing, headlight access covers, as well as orangeners strut brace stuff. On the valve cover, the entire surface was powder coated, as to bring out the ribs, etc., if they wiped away the dry coating it would clump up in the ribbed areas. I used the die grinder with a small circular 3M style abrasive disc, medium then fine grade to take the coating off the raised areas. I looked at the piece for a while before getting brave to do this, as it takes a steady hand and I was chicken I would mess it up! I was careful not to over work this process and not get too carried away. I would have to call the local powder coat shop for specifics on the material used but I believe it is a special heat resistant wrinkle coat type material.
I will for sure post some pics once all is completed (more or less as is it ever "finished?)
I am certain there are many other fine examples of the valve cover, mine is basic..
Bring it on guys and girls...show your stuff!

giannicsl

Reaction score
cover valve black

are looking for a black valve cover for my bmw cs ...

just a month ago I bought on e-bay.de a beautiful black valve cover for 102.00 euros, but the seller never sent it to me and I was very bad ...

MECH COMMANDER .. this is the nickname used by this person on e-bay ... Warning!

are now willing to buy you a valve cover black type Alpine Alpine written by or better yet ...
what type photographed by the great friend orangener ... BEAUTIFUL-BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL ...

if any of you has to sell me one I would be really happy!

[email protected] this is my mail

Thanks to all best regards

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had mine satin polished and then clear ceramic coated with a touch of black in the clear. I have another cover and am going back to unfinished. I have had no problems with my clear, anyone interested in purchasing it? With oil filler on the left it is for an injected coupe which is why I am changing it out.

Attachments

• CIMG4377.jpg
    CIMG4377.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 304

giannicsl

Reaction score
i buy black cover valve

... I would buy a black valve cover for my 3000 cs ...

those of you selling me?? best regards

pamp

Reaction score
Powder Coat

Just to answer some questions...
We did the cover in a faux wrinkle coat called "Sandtex Black" My boys do valve covers all the time for Chevy etc. and have had no issues with this coating in as far as temp tolerance. There is a phenomena called "out-gassing" which can be an issue on cast alloy bits depending on the quality of the casting (the out-gassing will cause pits and pin holes in the finish) A Yugo bit may not survive, for instance, vs good German metallurgy. This can be an issue using smooth finishes, regardless. Not so for the Sandtex as it fills any pits quite nicely. I asked to do my intake trumpets, no go, and media blasted only on these bits. So safe to say that the cover is an OK, as you can all see from the photo.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hello

I have been looking carefully to the different options, all of them are nice,
I still do prefer the "simply" clean option, In my opinion is good enough when you tell the production date:-D

dtd76.jpg

regards