Vancouver, BC Mechanic

westmakani

Reaction score
Just relocated from the Bay Area to Vancouver, BC and wondering if anyone knows of a good mechanic for my '71 2800cs in the Vancouver area..?

Thanks
Justin

pamp

Reaction score
I am in Comox....far as I know we are on our own. Forum guys can help with most. Great to have another coupe in B.C.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Al means to say that we can fix your car if you invite us up.....

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Precisely, I do electric windows and watch while Don fixes everything else...
When do you need us?
I also make a wicked espresso with cardamon...

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well - Depending on what you want to do - it can be a good opportunity to try things for yourself.

I'm just south of the border (north of Everett, WA) and have done most of my regular maintenance on my own. Some of that is because I like to. The other reason - I don't really have anyone else to do it for me regardless.

But - that being said... There are folks that do work on old cars like ours.
In Seattle, they are the shops that gear themselves towards supporting the "Race" scene (IMO). Group 2 is my current favorite. Carbs don't scare them. The one time they had an open house for the CCA - they insisted my Coupe park right in front.

Also - I would query the local BMW Car Club folks in Vancouver to see who they think wpuld be good. That and maybe even calling G2 (ask to talk to Chris - tell him I said to call). Ask if he has any thoughts on what may be in YVR area for you.

And... Depending on what you want to do - Getting step by step advice here is DAMN good.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh - just thought of this....

An EXCELLENT resource close to you is Ron Ager in Bellingham.
He owns NWEuropean and is very familiar with our cars.

Just a thought.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
No first hand experience on my part - I'm 10 hours away in Canmore AB so I asked the Alberta 02 brothers and got this as a starting point.

"The BC02 group can be reached by email at [email protected] - they would be the local enthusiast/grassroots and if anything like the Alberta group would be very knowledgable and helpful.

Some recommended shops are http://nixonautomotive.com and http://www.cgmotorsports.com

CG motorsports does mainly newer stuff, but they have a good reputation.. I've taken my 02 to Nixon and they were fair and honest for an out of province inspection. They do lots of older cars."

You might also ask on the http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50// for any recommendations - lots of Vancouver guy's there.

Doug

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
G2 is a nice shop with good people - I work 1/2 block away when I'm in Seattle. Ben is great to deal with too.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Allen - yes it is. There will be an open house there on Feb 16th (along with tours of some neighboring places).

alanmcg

Reaction score
calling northwest coupsters

sounds like a good excuse for the northwest coupesters to get to gether, chk out group 2, then lunch at the warf. allen, come on down.

pamp

Reaction score
Gp2

Funny story on how I first saw the GP2 shop....walking to the credit union on my lunch break from classes at Fremont Maritime in the new terminal building (above the Coho) It was raining torrents, bad even by Seattle standards. I looked up and spotted the shop logo on the side of their building, made me pause just long enough for a cube van to blast through a 2 ft deep puddle and drench my sorry ass big time. I wanted to take a peek yet I looked like road-kill at this point. I sure know how to have fun....

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try Rick Stephenson, who manages Sovereign Motors. 604-687-2146. If you are running stock, AutoWest BMW and Vancouver Auto would both be happy to take your money, they have some long term techs who love E9's. Join the local forum, 'BCBimmers', you can get recommendations for independents there, it's a lively place. Avoid a shop called '604gas' like the plague.

westmakani

Reaction score
Thanks all!

I've been up here three weeks now and there hasn't been one dry day, so not sure how much use she's going to get until summer...guess that gives me time to learn how to do more myself.

Do let me know if you find yourself in Vancouver.

Justin

mh01919

Reaction score
I'd recommend Rick too. He's a great guy with lots of BMW knowledge. He helped me out with our '02 last year and I've been planning on asking him for help in the CS soon. I'm in the Lower Mainland and there seem to be only one or two active Coupes around. Welcome to town!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
mh01919

Pretty sure there is more than a couple - recall at least four that have posted recently and ran into one (that doesn't frequent the forum) while walking in the Horseshoe Bay area. Post a shout out for a get together when it stops raining there - might be a while so lots of time to organize.

Doug