Various E9 gas tanks - start archival thread?

shanon

Reaction score
Gruppe:

I read in a recent post that there are differences in E9 gas tanks from various years (ie: pre-1970, 3.0s and EFI versions).

Having both the smaller capacity (55L? same as a 2002 tank?) and later (70L?), I'd be happy to share my pics for reference. Yes, the shapes are different, but both drop right in. Even though I have an early E9, I installed the later, larger tank for increased range on my interstellar excursions.....and my coupe now is in only getting thirstier as I am adding a warp drive system ;)

I took pics of the two units side by side a few years ago for comparison purposes and am happy to post when that archival thumb drive has been 'located'.....argh!
If not, I will take new pics of the early small tank and share when I return to my Batcave later this weeks. It is hanging on the wall as an 'object d' art'.

Please feel free to add pics of various tanks you have to this thread for reference.

Keep coupin!
-s

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please share when you find the drive! They are actually kind of tricky to determine capacity by pics on their own. The only thing I could visually identify was the filler neck length.

Some facts courtesy of @BMW Pete:

Small Tank =-Neck is 2 inches high
Large tank = Neck is 1 and 3/8 inch high
Side wall of upper piece near filler neck
Small tank = 2 and 1/4 inch
Large tank = 3 inches
Tank balanced level, from floor to flange that joins top to bottom
Small tank = 6 and 3/4 inch
Large tank = 8 and 1/2 inch
Internal measurement from floor of tank to lip/hole fuel sender etc sits in
Small tank = 8 and 1/2 inch
Large tank = 10 and 1/4 inch