Vented front rotors

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I went to the junkyard and got my spacers for much less. There are two thicknesses of spacers, depending on whether the rotors are 22mm or 25mm. Your next problem is that vented front rotors tend to be larger in diameter than the stock rotors, so some trimming may be necessary to clear the calipers in the stock position. You can also use E12 struts that came stock with larger diameter vented rotors, and I think someone makes a mounting kit to adapt the caliper to the larger rotor.

windnsea

Reaction score
Use the vented rotors off of an E9 - they are not, I repeat not larger in diameter. But, need to space calipers accordingly. It is a bolt-in operation with simply changing the discs, and putting the spacers into the calipers.

You will also need the little rubber seals that go with the spacers - BMW does not stock them but any Porsche dealer will. You also need the correspondingly longer caliper bolts and larger metal pins and spacers which keep the pads from rubbing on the discs all the time.

Alpina, in the '70's, offered this conversion as a package. I still have a few of these around, but not for sale.

....just get rebuilt calipers off of an E9. Cheapest way to go and all the work is done for you, as well as having rebuilt seals.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the difference is which model. the 2800cs (thru early '71) had solid front rotors and rear drums. all 3.0cs had vented front + back rotors.

e30strube

Reaction score
It looks like Napa and Rockauto sell the calipers for about $80-100 with no core. Anyone ever use them before? Seems pretty cheap considering just the spacer kit is 200 euro from Walloth and Nesch.