Vented Rear Disk

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the vented front disks and calipers; I am in the process or upgrading from solid and I have ordered the calipers and rotors. I also ordered a set of rear disks which are vented. I assume these also need a different caliper. Does anyone know about installing vented rear disks and what type of caliper would be appropriate?

The vented disks are available at very good prices from AutoauseAZ; about $37 for front and $50 for reat.
The front calipers (for vented) are available at AutoZone for about $90 less core fee of $27.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a little confused, all 3.0CS had vented rotors front and rear, 2800CS had solid front rotors and rear drums, 2500CS had solid front and rears. The main difference between the solid and vented calipers is a spacer between the two halves, they are unobtainable from what I hear.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Yikes! You are correct about the 2800 and the 2500 (and 3.0bav) - I checked the ETK parts book in detail. I'm beginning to think someone repaired my car at some point using 3.0bav brake components. I should be able to simply buy a set of 3.0cs rear calipers and be in good shape for using 4 wheel vented as originally built. (I have a set of front and rear vented disks coming along with a set of front calipers for vented disks).

My 71 E9 is really starting to drive me crazy getting it sorted out. It appears that I have:
- 1 1977 head - probably a good thing
- 34/38 Webers - I'm going back to 35/40 Zeniths (personal problem)
- 365 Getrag 5 speed - nicer than the 4 speed
- 3.0bav brakes

What's next? At least it isn't as bad as the E9 posted on Ebay about 9 months ago that had a complete E3 rear end graffed on to it. :roll:

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
The calipers for the following cars are the same:

E24 630CSi COUPE, U.S.
E24 633CSi COUPE, U.S.
E24 628CSi COUPE, Euro
E24 630CS COUPE, Euro
E24 633CSi COUPE, Euro
E24 635CSi COUPE, Euro

E3 2.8L SEDAN, Euro
E3 3.0L SEDAN, Euro
E3 3.0S SEDAN, Euro
E3 3.0Si SEDAN, Euro
E3 3.3L SEDAN, Euro
E3 3.3Li SEDAN, Euro

E9 3.0CS COUPE, U.S.
E9 3.0CS COUPE, Euro
E9 3.0CSi COUPE, Euro
E9 3.0CSiL COUPE, Euro
E9 3.0CSL COUPE, Euro

You should be able to source them from the same place that you found the fronts.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
To make matters a bit worse, I've been checking around for appropriate calipers and it seems that many sites list the same caliper for the 3.0cs as they list for the 3.0bav. They are not the same! It seems that the spacer is needed in the rear as well as the front for vented disks. Be careful!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Curious--the VIN #2240xxx you indicate as a 1971 3.0CS

1) Technically there were no 1971 US spec 3.0CS's--the 2240xxx VIN indicates US spec 1972 3.0 CS--per CS Registry

2) The first US spec 3.0CS's were introduced as 1972 models

3) All 1970 and 1971 US spec cars were 2800 CS's

4) In 1971 3.0CS's were Euro spec and available for delivery outside of the US

If your car was a 1971 model it would be a 2800 CS and would have solid disc brakes in front and drums in the rear.

You might want to contact Mobile Tradition to get the real "skinny" on your cars year of manufacture to determine its actual model year.

shanon

Reaction score
....or if you got 15/16" wheels, I hear you can bolt on early 7 series calipers ..........those gotta be a dime a dozen or littered about the 'yards :shock:

maybe someone here can verify this......... :roll:

-shanon

MichaelP

Reaction score
Re: Curious--the VIN #2240xxx you indicate as a 1971 3.0CS

1) Technically there were no 1971 US spec 3.0CS's--the 2240xxx VIN indicates US spec 1972 3.0 CS--per CS Registry

2) The first US spec 3.0CS's were introduced as 1972 models

3) All 1970 and 1971 US spec cars were 2800 CS's

4) In 1971 3.0CS's were Euro spec and available for delivery outside of the US

If your car was a 1971 model it would be a 2800 CS and would have solid disc brakes in front and drums in the rear.

You might want to contact Mobile Tradition to get the real "skinny" on your cars year of manufacture to determine its actual model year.

Murray, look at the table further down on the CSR page. It indicates that 132 '71 3.0CSs were built.

Second, the green Mobile Tradition coupe book says the same thing (p. 165).

Third, the Mobile Tradition parts website (to which Maximillian and realoem subscribe) indicates the start date for the 3.0CS as 4/71.

So, although the 3.0CS may have been introduced as a "New for Seventy-Two!" model, there were techinically, according to BMW, '71s. The point is, if jhjacob's title says '71, it very well may be correct.

jhjacobs, you can get the model, build date, delivery port and original color of your coupe (for free!) by emailing Andreas Harz at Mobile Tradition with your VIN. His email is [email protected]

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I think we are all right. My title lists the car as a 1972 as does the serial number when looking it up. However, the VIN plate clearly shows 1971 as the date of manufacture. I suspect it was actually built in 1971 but did not reach the US until 1972 (or 1972 model year). It is also clearly a 3.0cs, not a 2800, according to the VIN plate. Also, if it were a 2800 it would have drum brakes in the rear.

Many parts databases do not show a listing for 1971. Of the 132 '71's built, I suspect they are all titled as 1972 models. I'm pretty sure this was also not a Euro car as it does not have any of the tell tale signs like rear bumper lights, US turn signals, etc. Of course, this car has been hit on every corner and side at some point and it has bumpers and signal indicators replaced all around.

I have now completed purchase of everything to bring it back to full vented disk configuration. While I'll never have a pure form E9, I can at least try to get close. I'm losing the Webers next - back to Zenith INATs.