Very Rusty '72 RHD CSL for sale on Bonhams

Saw that. Was going to put the link up.
If it sells well tells you all you need to know about the state of the market.

Eh guys, at least we can see it has the correct aluminum panels and it is honest.

I had to look at one in the in the UK last week (although a LHD) and it had a covering paint job many years ago and the rust (on the outside) at the bottom of A pillars was the size of your hand and we all know what it will be like behind that pleasant picture.

The only Aluminum panel left was the bonnet/hood, owner fiend surprise when I said doors and boot were 100% steel, it had obviously had a bad front ender at some stage, the nose was fitted terrible and not a single panel was 100%

Lots to do on this one, but at least the buyer will not be in for any surprises.

Last edited:
Ofcourse as a result of being parked for 20 years outside (my guess) it did also ensure that it wasn;t 'improved/ altered/butchered along the way. The car does seem to be fairly original:
original Pre mid '73 bumper with the longer outside slits:
1657008145293.png

original csl 5 hole wheels:
1657016071856.png

Is this an original window sticker? Not sure as I've only seen them in the upper left corner. on this side as it's an LHD?:
1657015652428.png

and curious thing: as this one seems to be very original, however it does have white paint behind the side grille, where I expected black:
1657008376668.png

and a 4 slat (plastic; incorrect? ) front grille.
1657008486476.png

by the way, what is this additional canister: part of the headlamp wash system?
(interesting way to store tow hook-must have fallen off?)
1657015896629.png

Vin:
1657008545275.png

Just in case anyone purchases it; I have a NOS CSL thin gauge tailpanel. This car seems like a good candidate :)

Last edited:
Yea, even a car w 75% less rust still has to be cut apart. If it's all there, at least it's honest.

With the world economy slowing, it's going to be interesting to see what a car in this state goes for.

Buy it for the alloy panels, interior parts and the chassis number. Swap all that that over to a better shell/car. Not that I would do it, but someone will.

With the insanity around E9 / CSL parts (or any classic car parts tbh), even if someone bought it as a parts car, picking the bones could be highly lucrative.

Sold for £37,250 (inc. Buyer’s Premium), so relatively high but it is even so nice standing there

Back