Very Rusty '72 RHD CSL for sale on Bonhams

Seeing cars like this, in that condition, always makes me think, "shouldn't there be some sort of crime against this?" Some sort of misdemeanor charges? I'm joking, but it's so sad. I could barely make it through all the pics. Someone is basically paying for a vin plate and the stamped VIN in the frame, didn't catch if motor was matching #'s or not, assume it is from the hammer price, and other few rare CSL bits.

I applaud whoever bought this because obviously they are going to "save" it in some way or another. That seems like a lot of money for the state this is in. But, hey, some people like a challenge I guess, this will surely be one of them.

It makes my Golf Bav purchase seem sane with the condition it was in compared to this. It was a journey restoring it and sometimes that is the best part about these beautiful automobiles. There is something about taking nothing and turning it into something very special, I have a feeling that may happen here.

I hope whoever buys this ends up on here and starts a build thread.

Boonies, I don't know that much about the "dipper," but I wonder how much there would be to "see" and how much would go down the dipper's drain?

I fully agree with You Guys.

It is a great opportunity to afford and to find good, running base to be able to have some fun from driving at once.

This is not so common in case of US cars but most of EU/UK cars to be fix properly needs to be put into pieces anyhow, even if they are look complete and running. We have many examples.

LHD CSL is kind a unicorn and that makes all the business case worth to pay $$$ for rust bucket. Probably in UK it is possible to check the number of owners and the last MOT it passed (or failed).

As @GolfBavaria I'm also thinking about time this car was able to be driven and one day he stopped ... for so many years. What was the story behind? Why no one bother to put it into garage or just sell. Answers are typically so simple (silly?) but ... It is good it will appear once on the road. Probably will not be used very frequently or will just be nice and shiny standing in a storage as running capital.

For me that CSL shape it not as horrible as it can be. A little more eaten up by rust in comparison to mine. :D

I also would like to see how that car is being rebuilt and it would be even more fun to see the updates from that process.

Over time I more and more admire people who are using old cars for riding, not paying as much attention to value drop even if the renovation or usage cost much more than modern car.

Back