Vintage Blaupunkt sound quality

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Question for the vintage stereo experts. I have a Blaupunkt Frankfort stereo that’s sitting in a box and am curious as to it’s sound quality. Rather than pull my center console apart to install and test I figured i’d throw it out to the group for opinions and how it might compare to something slightly more modern. By modern, i’m still talking about an older 2 post stereo so as not to hack up the vent plate, but maybe something newer and digital. I’m not going for high fidelity here, and can appreciate that between wind, road and engine noise it’s already an uphill battle. I have recently installed modern 5.25’s in the rear deck and thinking about sticking a speaker or two in the center dash location replacing the original one there now...nothing crazy.

I like the period correct look so if the sound quality is reasonable I’ll go the Frankfurt route but if the consensus is the best it will sound is transistor radio quality, i’d probably end up going with something more modern.

I should add that currently installed is a I’d guess late 70’s, early 80’s clarion in there now that is clearly starting to fail and the sound out of the rear speakers is becoming unlistenable.

Thanks for any input you might be able to offer.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the original Becker and 4 speakers in my car. It looks great but sounded pretty flat, which was ok with me because I don't listen to music often and I prefer the vintage look. Then I put new Retrosound speakers in my footwell and rear shelf locations. They are modern, low profile speakers that come in unusual sizes and were the only ones to fit in my original enclosures and could replace 45 year old paper speakers, I wanted to keep that look also. Big improvement. Then I hid a power amp under the rear seat. Bigger improvement. Then I had the radio rebuilt by Becker Autosound so it functions to spec. Now it sounds pretty good, not by modern standards, but fine for the occasional time when I don't want to listen to the triple webers (which isn't often!). I can run Spotify from my iPhone. Remember these cars have a lot of wind and road noise which make hi fidelity an elusive goal, even with a big budget. Personally, I don't like the modern LED "vintage" replacement radios, I think they detract from the beauty of the interior and are muscle car-ish. In that case I'd mount the Blaupunkt for show and hide a head unit elsewhere. Once you know how to pull the radio faceplate it's not that difficult - 4 trim screws and the post nuts. Just make sure the speed nuts are properly aligned on the console for reinstall or it will drive you crazy trying to get the screws back in.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall chatting with Stephan, the owner of SWStereo back in the 80's. I was seeking an improved stereo head for a MB. Stephan was of the opinion 'back then' that Becker produced a better automobile radio than Blaupunkt. Don't know whether that held during the '70's, however!! I also believe that Becker has a refurbishing option on their units.

No other info or opinion!! Good luck

Gary

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just remember, a vintage radio is only 4 watts per channel! Add an amp and it will make a world of difference with a good set of speakers. Unless your Blaupunkt has a blue antenna trigger wire, you will need to wire the amp so it comes on when the accessories position or run position is selected unless you add a switch for power.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... your input has been very helpful. I'm leaning towards picking up an amp and installing the Blaupunkt.

Good heads up Chris on the wiring. Mine most certainly does not have the blue wire so i'll need to go hunting for an accessory/run hot wire. Shouldnt be too difficult.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i had the chance to compare my newly installed vintage 1972 blaupunkt radio with the radio fitted in my daily driver, a 2016 audi,
both cars were at the garage below road level and closed
by far the old blaupunkt was producing better radio tuning, obviously with a telescopic antenna

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My buddy has a old head unit but not connected to speakers (just power for the lights) . He got a nice Bluetooth capable amp and high end speakers and just uses Spotify and controls everything from his phone. Sounds great and no old components in-line to degrade the sound.