vintage BMW at upcoming Auctions

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1973 3.0 CSL - Race Car - Sotheby's Monterey 2023 - Friday 18 Aug 2023 - Must not have sold / Reserve not Met - now asking $850,000

This is Scott & Fran Hughes CSL. Which Scott has raced & shown for a long time. The Hughes have made the difficult decision to sell 4 of their race cars with the CSL the favorite. It was difficult & emotional decision put it up for auction. If it doesn't sell, they have a great CSL.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting to see the m1 so low. A few years ago this car would have fetched 600 to 750k at a high point in the market. I think this help demonstrate the market weakening for classic Bmws. I think the e9 has seen this for sure.
Hi Oldbmwcoupes,

With respect, this car wasn't really a reflection on values of M1s, although the car looked good on paper, it had lots of issues.

For starters, all the federalization was still present, inside filler caps are really undesirable, the changes inside for federalization were unique to say the least, certainly not what the normal people who did this work did. The front bumper was a beautiful work of art, must have cost a fortune to make a three piece metal bumper that looks correct with shocks behind, but of course wrong.

More importantly, somebody had done something very odd with the engine number, almost looked like somebody had tried to weld in that area, very odd, would have been better with no number or the wrong number, but what looked like trying to hide something, scared people.

There were also condition issues.

Good M1s are very strong at the moment and are holding at the prices you mention above in the past, I know of three great no excuses cars that have sold privately above $1M in the last couple of years. Sadly, most M1s you see in auction have issues, even with its issues, many considered this sale above value in todays market

Apologies for being a geek on the subject :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great response Pete ... no apologies necessary, we appreciate the insight that is so informative for the rest of us mere mortals.

going forward, i will try to keep this thread going with coming auctions where vintage BMW are sold + hope that others will do the same.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Oldbmwcoupes,

With respect, this car wasn't really a reflection on values of M1s, although the car looked good on paper, it had lots of issues.

For starters, all the federalization was still present, inside filler caps are really undesirable, the changes inside for federalization were unique to say the least, certainly not what the normal people who did this work did. The front bumper was a beautiful work of art, must have cost a fortune to make a three piece metal bumper that looks correct with shocks behind, but of course wrong.

More importantly, somebody had done something very odd with the engine number, almost looked like somebody had tried to weld in that area, very odd, would have been better with no number or the wrong number, but what looked like trying to hide something, scared people.

Good M1s are very strong at the moment and are holding at the prices you mention above in the past, I know of three great no excuses cars that have sold privately above $1M in the last couple of years. Sadly, most M1s you see in auction have issues, even with its issues, many considered this sale above value in todays market

Super interesting info once again @BMW Pete I / we learn a ton from each of your posts

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Oldbmwcoupes,

There have been numerous cars that I have looked at in person that were nothing like what I expected to see based on what was shown beforehand (pictures and descriptions I had going in). The higher the value/cost is of the item, the more 'creative' the sellers sometimes are in how they show the car to hide or minimize its flaws. Case in point is the supposed CSL that is in the Silverstone auction coming up this next weekend. The actual provenance of that E9 has been discussed on this forum, but if you look at the description and such on the auction site (even just now) - you'd think all is rosey.
I also dabble in older audio equipment (silver Pioneer receivers and R2R decks and such) and .... that world is rife with creative photography and lighting and 'ran when parked' descriptions. A real 'buyer beware' world for those things.

The thing that is true both in the classic automotive world as well as the 'classic' stereo market that I have experienced is what may seem to be a bargain is usually just a fairly priced item whose condition makes the $$ it what it is. My dad used to say there is no free lunch. I am a firm believer in that.

And on a side note - Pete is beyond a geek on the subject. LOL He is the geeks geek.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank,s chart75. If I was still looking, and fortunately I am not, I would have quickly passed on this car. Lacks details, undercarriage photos, and needs way too much.
My 72 Agave Bavaria has the tan vinyl that looks like the suspicious "leather" in this one.