WANTED: BMW E9 2800CS or 3.0CS in Australia

ENINE

Reaction score
As the topic suggests, I am looking for a project BMW E9 (I don't mind if it's a 2800CS or 3.0CS). If you own one and are toying with the idea of parting with it, please do get in touch! I am located in Sydney Australia but willing to travel interstate for the right car, one thing is for certain: I can assure that it will go to a good home.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
David.

Viggen

Reaction score
As the topic suggests, I am looking for a project BMW E9 (I don't mind if it's a 2800CS or 3.0CS). If you own one and are toying with the idea of parting with it, please do get in touch! I am located in Sydney Australia but willing to travel interstate for the right car, one thing is for certain: I can assure that it will go to a good home.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
David.

Hi Enine,

What are you looking for RHD or LHD? There was one in Brissy on carsales but I believe she has found a new owner last week.

I had been searching for a while and if you interested I can yell you how the market looks like. At the end I decided to import one and so far no regrets.

Cheers
Viggen

ENINE

Reaction score
Hi Enine,

What are you looking for RHD or LHD? There was one in Brissy on carsales but I believe she has found a new owner last week.

I had been searching for a while and if you interested I can yell you how the market looks like. At the end I decided to import one and so far no regrets.

Cheers
Viggen
Hey Viggen, Thanks for the response. I'm looking for RHD. I didn't see the one on carsales, the only one I saw in Brissy for sale (and it was already sold by that stage) was the blue one that sold on eBay for 10k (bargain).
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Where did you import your car from? UK? How costly was the process?

Viggen

Reaction score
Hey Viggen, Thanks for the response. I'm looking for RHD.

Hi Enine,

Sorry for the late response - I've been flat out.

RHD may be hard to find unless you get one from UK.

I didn't see the one on carsales, [...]

There is another one $32k asking....:|
E9 RHD - Carsales

Where did you import your car from? UK? How costly was the process?

Across the Tasman :p. LHD.

The process is actually straightforward. You need to apply for an Import Permit to Dept of Infra. and Transp. $50.
Once you have it - organise a transport - ball park figure is around $3k with all the charges. US would be a bit cheaper.

After you get through customs - Feds will hit you with GST - 10% :mad: and the quarantine is a real pain the ... Steam cleaning - $300-500 + they charge for an EACH inspection - $250.

Getting it registered in NSW is another story ...

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Viggen

ENINE

Reaction score
Hi Enine,

Sorry for the late response - I've been flat out.

RHD may be hard to find unless you get one from UK.

There is another one $32k asking....:|
E9 RHD - Carsales

Across the Tasman :p. LHD.

The process is actually straightforward. You need to apply for an Import Permit to Dept of Infra. and Transp. $50.
Once you have it - organise a transport - ball park figure is around $3k with all the charges. US would be a bit cheaper.

After you get through customs - Feds will hit you with GST - 10% :mad: and the quarantine is a real pain the ... Steam cleaning - $300-500 + they charge for an EACH inspection - $250.

Getting it registered in NSW is another story ...

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Viggen
Hey Viggen,
I will take this all into consideration. That silver E9 on carsales has done the rounds and is it's 3rd time being re-advertised I believe? I think being patient and having $ ready to go is paramount to finding the right car. I'm not in a rush (although i'd like a nice car now and not later haha) but hopefully something good will pop up soon within my budget!

Sid Vicious

Reaction score
I'm also in the market for one in NZ. Good ones rare as Rocking Horse Poo now. A couple of dubious ones did come up for sale but resisted the urge to rush into anything, though getting desperate now. I will PM you if something shows up in NZ, with the Aussie $, it might be a good buy. I can put you onto good shippers here as well.

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
good luck

Good Luck with your search, something will come up I am sure...

there are a few examples of Aussies importing LHD and RHD and restoring (search this website) all have had good degrees of success.

I sourced mine locally, and have rebuilt from the ground up. One thing seems to be consistent, if you buy one to restore, there are no half measures....

Cheers

Chris
Aussie3.0CS

rb1971

Reaction score
One thing seems to be consistent, if you buy one to restore, there are no half measures....
Aussie3.0CS

+1.

Question (and sorry for the threadjack) since my wife and I are considering moving to Sydney, and I'd want to take my coupe: do you or anyone on this thread know the rules for importing a 74 model year car to OZ (NSW in particular)? Will there be an issue with the fact that it is LHD or that it is extremely modified, or does OZ have the same types of rules as the US once cars pass a certain age? I've seen a few older LHD cars running around in Sydney and some of them at least have had (pretty obnoxious) signs on the back indicating the same - are those required by law.

Thanks in advance.

MarksE9

Reaction score
Big Caution!

I lived in Aus for some years before returning to New Zealand and looked at this issue. I seem to remember reading that any car manufactured prior to 1st Jan 1989 can be imported LHD or RHD (although the Aus States may have differing rules on LHD). Here's a link to the info on the DOTARS site:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...importing_vehicles/general/pre1989scheme.aspx

The main issue seems to be how deeply modified is the vehicle.

You might also check out the rules on personal imports owned and driven overseas depending on how long you've owned it.

Last edited:

Viggen

Reaction score
+1.

, and I'd want to take my coupe: do you or anyone on this thread know the rules for importing a 74 model year car to OZ (NSW in particular)?

Importing - not a problem - pre 1989 Car Scheme. Getting it registered in NSW - bit tricky :sad: . In general if the car was built after August 1972 you will require an engineering certificate - $630. It will say that ... the car meets the requirements back from 1974 - crazy.

Generally a Left Hand Drive vehicle can be registered in most states only if it is in excess of 30 years old.

+1.

Will there be an issue with the fact[...] that it is extremely modified,

Ah, well - that may be an issue. What has been modified?

rb1971

Reaction score
Ah, well - that may be an issue. What has been modified?

Er - everything? The main change is that we replaced the M30 with an S38, but almost every part of the car has some minor change/improvement. Other changes included a racing fuel cell, dual exhaust, revised interior, etc.

ENINE

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions and responses. Ideally, I’d like to find a RHD model and I’m happy to wait.. Importing might be a last resort for me!
I got a tip off about this RED E9 which looked great; I was so excited only to find out that it’s been sold
http://www.bmwccv.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=966
Back to the drawing board, I’ll keep you guys updated if anything changes...in the meantime if anyone has any leads or is considering selling, then feel free to shoot me a pm!
Cheers

Viggen

Reaction score
Er - everything? The main change is that we replaced the M30 with an S38, but almost every part of the car has some minor change/improvement. Other changes included a racing fuel cell, dual exhaust, revised interior, etc.

Grrr, so not much left from the original :-(. It may not fit into Pre 1989 Scheme in this case as I'm assuming some new parts have been used.

If a vehicle has been modified after original manufacture date - so that the vehicle no longer meets original specifications - the date of manufacture is taken to be the later date of conversion.

You may still be able to import it if you have owned and driven it overseas for more than 12 months but getting in registered in LHD may be tricky. I am 100% sure that an engineering certificate will be required for all the mods you have done but if the manufacture date will be established as "now" (due to the mods) than you cannot register it as LHD :x

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if you could drive what you want as long as it met a maintenance standard. I sure hope you can take that amazing car of yours wherever you go.

Brendan E

Reaction score
E9wjc. 2800

E9WJC.. I just sent you a message with my number.. I'm interested in your 2800.. Please give me a call

Brendan