Wanted: e3 front windshield

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Looking for a front e3 windshield. I’m in southern CA. I’m willing to pay for shipping if needed, but don’t know how difficult it will be to box, etc. Thanks.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My glass guy had an easy time locating an E3 windshield for me a couple of years ago from his regular glass shop sources. Have you tried a shop that regularly installs windshields in older cars? I don't think any shop could do this exclusively and have enough business, but there must be several in SoCal that do a lot of work with vintage cars in addition to their real business.

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Thanks Dick for the advice! I’ve asked my usual SoCal sources, including Carl Nelson, Mesa Performance, and another that has found me a lot of Bavaria parts in the past. I’ve tried 1 windshield installer recommended to me for old cars, but he couldn’t find one either. Overall, no luck so far, but I’m continuing to look.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try Ira at +1 (516) 921-0033 (Glass Seekers). He specializes in finding glass for old cars and odd applications.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was just searching for E3 rear window gaskets and found this site. "Kapteijn" that had windscreens listed.
give it a try.
Good Luck.

rblongboarder

Reaction score
I just acquired a 1970 2800 and I'm in the market for a new front windshield too.. here's an interesting discovery I stumbled across... This seller on eBay (based in Atlanta) has a E3 windshield for sale:

If you read his description carefully, there's potentially a very important detail: he claims this is new production glass from Scandinavia, built to original BMW spec. I'm willing to do some research for this site, and see what's the full story is.

I wonder if they are making E3, E9 and other BMW glass? That might be a game changer for several projects on this site.

JP

(BTW, since you're in OC, and I'm in redondo beach - we might eventually cross paths at Cars & Coffee in San Clemente. If you have a build thread here in the forums, I'd be interested to take a look at your project...)

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Thank you for all the great suggestions everyone. Here's a summary of my findings:

-Mesa Performance: No used windshields or source for new. I was referred to local installer who does old cars, and he also couldn't locate one.
-La Jolla Independent: No luck with Carl and no suggestions
-Glass Seekers (recommended by jfeng above): Ira located 2 new ones in the US. The only issues is that is must be shipped to a commercial address.
-2002AD: They were able to locate 2 aftermarket new ones in Germany (for less $ than Glass Seekers). I purchased one of these and will pick it up at 2002AD in Pomona when it arrives in ~3wks.

I'm sure with patience, used ones can be found, but shipping logistics could be tough, and I preferred to have no pitting, etc

Tim