wanted: RH door brake for '73 coupe

petert

Reaction score
Last time I asked for this, I got something similiar but not the real McCoy and it didn't have the same tension as an original part for this door. It was a waste of my time and money. So, if you got one that's really from a '73 coupe, I need it. Thanks in advance, PeterT

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Door brakes--old style barake a lot

old style door barkes for the E-3, E-9 and 2002's were very poorly designed--due to their flawed design they are short lived--I've forgotten how many of them have required replacement in the BLUMAX over the years--until about three years ago when an old style failed and chose #2 below as a permanent fix and did both doors--the newer esign of the old type was not out but followed shortly--think it was introduced by Mobile Tradition.

When replacing yours be sure you retain the nylon sleeve the pin goes through from the broken brake--also get a fresh pin and give the working parts a durable lube before installation.

two good choices are now available:
1) the newly revised door brake design similar to the original design--but promised to be more durable
2) rear door brakes from the E-28 will do the job with a slight modification--this fix is promised to outlast the car or caretaker--whichever occurs first!

IMHO--far better to replace with a new part than an old style used one.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Murray,

what is the nylon insert needed from the old brake? Is it a part that can be ordered new as I dont have the old brakes?

regards,

Rohan

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
why the nylon insert

to avoid the metal to metal working surfaces--i,e. to cushion the working surfaces between the door brake pin and the DB hinge--not sure if it is available from usual sources--try Carl Nelson aka Bimmer Doc