Warning triangles

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a carry over from the tool box thread in the for sale section, Keshav said original warning triangles are getting scarce. the question is what are original warning triangles?? I am posting a picture of of what I believe is an original BMW warning triangle of which I have more than several. They are in a blue box with BMW pressed into into it and the box is approximately 19" long. If correct I will offer these in the for sale section Triangle 2.JPG

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These old/ period correct triangles have become a novelty and fetch amazing prices. This is the one I have and surely these too have different covers and designs. Which ones are ‘correct’ for cars made in early 70’s i can’t say. The blue boxes seem to have been used in later model triangles too.
This eBay.de shows a few in blue covers too.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odk...d=m570.l1313&_nkw=bmw+e9+warndreieck&_sacat=0

9CE5EEF2-DABD-4F6E-AB3D-5F4C333046DD.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These are mandatory in Germany and in most of Europe and sure add to the nostalgic parafanilia we so love, specially with the Bmw embossed cover. Along with a period correct First Aid box.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When did they become mandatory?
Keshov, by the "Period Correct First Aid Box" do you mean the brown vinyl pouch? I bought one last year, complete with all original items and a few extras. I could post a photo.
Steve

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cool topic, i bought a blue box one several years ago, i will dig it out and put it in the trunk so i can comply with the laws :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When did they become mandatory?

Always been as far as I know. Very much so till today along with the first aid kit and warning/ reflecting west’s (which is relatively new). The law specifies exactly how far the triangle is to be placed behind the broken down car and what the occupants are to do if breakdown takes place on the autobahn or on normal roads.

Keshov, by the "Period Correct First Aid Box" do you mean the brown vinyl pouch? I bought one last year, complete with all original items and a few extras. I could post a photo.
Steve

Steve, not sure what the FA Kits looked like in the 70’s, having fist come to Germany in 1982! The original items in your pouch have surely expired ;) which would defeat the purpose of having one!

mr bump

Reaction score
It's got a 71. Part number so I'm assuming that's the year of manufacture?
The green one came with the car 8 yrs ago, but has no part number on it.
It's somthing i always forget to take when I go to lemans 24hr, with them no a legal requirement in the UK, but 22 miles across the channel they are. Weird!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's got a 71. Part number so I'm assuming that's the year of manufacture?
The green one came with the car 8 yrs ago, but has no part number on it.
It's somthing i always forget to take when I go to lemans 24hr, with them no a legal requirement in the UK, but 22 miles across the channel they are. Weird!

The 1971 (if that part# is for a 71 car) date is perfect..... looks the part too! Cool. European law presumably.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The parts book shows the warning triangle (warndrejeck) as 71 60 1 107 437 so definitely around in the early 70s. These never came to the US and even ten years ago BMW would not sell a new one here when I had an e39.

The March 74 coupe owners manual lists Equipment to Personalize your BMW including brown, blue or black First Aid cushions and a Breakdown Warning Triangle. This same list is in the 2002 owners manual so it isn’t specific to coupes and in fact also includes things like rear seat headrests, exterior thermometer and rear-seat reading lamp which were never offered on coupes.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Correction regarding size. I just went over to my storage locker and brought them home. I re measured them and the cases are 17.5" X 2.5"

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Bert,
The warning triangles you sent me have arrived and look fantastic. Exceeds my expectations! Thank you for having these, and making them available.
Stephen